Rolling Thunder

mobsterone

Does anyone know what the WR is at the mo - I've just emailed Randall to ask?

I informed him that I intend doing 120 kilos plus the handle (270-272 pounds total) next Saturday, having done 118.75 kilos plus the handle yesterday.

By the way I also beat last weeks PR on the Deadlifts lockouts getting 440 kilos and just mising 460 kilos...

Mobsterone, very slightly off topic, some advice if you don't mind.

One of my goals at the moment is to bring up the rather depressing amount of weight I can lift with my thick handled dumbell. I'm doing the following things all with the thick handle:

Two sets each arm of Hammer curls, six reps per set, I don't like these much as I feel it more in my wrist than my grip, is this normal or do I just have understrength wrists?

Two sets each arm of cleaning the weight to my shoulder, five reps per set, more weight than the hammers,I like these.

Then one set of alternate 10 second holds, 10 holds in total, more weight than the cleans.

I've been toying with the idea of buying a rolling thunder, would it help me in my goals if so how would you recommend incorporating it into my workout? Or is the above workout ok?

The above is done after my regular workout of bench, pull up, squats every other workout.

Thanks for any advice.

FC

I'm a great believer, where possible, of training specificity. To train for thick handled deadlifts I do Thick Handled deadlifts and so on. The only lifting I do which isn't 'as is' is the deadlift lockouts. These replaced one handed lifting and it worked.

There would be some carry over using a Rolling Thunder as it has the same size handle and will work the thumb (I and DH do not recommend thumbless grip - it'll drop one day).

Say what lift you want to do with the thick handle and do that. If, like me, its the one hand deadlift then all the hammer curl work in the world or working of the wrist will not carry over enough. It'll work the wrist and the grip about 50-50.

Re the timed holds. I have stated elsewhere on this site that I have on occasion used this to a)strengthen my ability to hold on to the db but also b)cos I knew people would want to take pictures and might need a few seconds :).

I do the following training /grip work (reasons why in brackets).

Monday

Leg Press, Bench Press, Chins or Hammer row (all core body strength)

Tusday (grip work)

Vertical bar lifts (want to get DH record - far off at the mo)

Pinch Lift (as above - closing in)

Grippers (wnat the no 4 - 3/4 inch off verified by Jim Wylie if need be)

Thursday

Press, curls and dips (as Monday)

Saturday (2nd Grip Sess)

Rolling Thunder (want WR)

Partial Deadlifts (like them and want 1200, then 1500, then WR)

Thick Handled DB (want 275-300 and also lift my challenge db).

Most sets are 3 reps and as I get heavier I will work down to 2 x 1 singles on last sets. On the dumbbell work I do 4 x 1 - no over work sets.

I hope this helps

Thanks alot mobs, I'm going to follow your advice. Seeing as my goal is to up the paltry amount of weight I can shift with my bell (45kg  ??? ) I'll be ditching the hammer curls (didn't like how they felt on my wrists anyway) and replace them with heavy singles.

So,

Cleans

10 second holds

Heavy singles

Obviously I won't be able to use my max weight for these singles due to the fact I'll have just done my cleans and holds, but I think every 3 or 4 weeks I can do the heavy singles first to see how I'm progressing. I'd realy like to get to 60kg within the next 3 or 4 months.

Again sorry for hijacking your thread, I'm sure someone will know the RT record, I also reckon one day you'll hold it.

Cheers

FC

Dave equalled, I believe, the 264 pounds at his comp last June but both the numbers you mention are, I think, unofficial (I don't get Milo so maybe they are... :))

Right then I'm gonna do more than that. I want to do 6 20-kilo plates plus the handle which is about 270 pounds (whats the handle weigh again anyone?). I will of course get a picture taken and post as and when its developed.

My personal best is 80 kg = 176 lbs (right hand) and 70 kg=154 lbs (left hand). It´s a long long way to breaking the 100 kg =220 lbs barrier.

Today, Saturday 2nd February 2002, seems like a good day to break a record :)

It's just turned 8am local time and I have a mate coming to the gym as a witness/picture taker at 1pm so wish me luck

Boo Hoo - I failed (this time). I did 60, 80, 100 and then put on 120 kilos - camera at the ready and nada. I tried 5 times and then dropped to what I did last week (equals WR) which was 118.75 kilos (plus 5 pounds for handle and pin). Couldn't budge that either boo hoo.

I did, however, get 1001 pounds (455 kilos) on the partial Deadlift (and yes theres a picture - you'll have to wait for me to use the film).

So it wasn't a total disaster...

Next time...

Steve, great work on the partial deadlift. The thick handle stuff is your specialty, though, so I have no doubt that you will get the weight. Don't let a miss today set you back, just recover and do it next time. Revel in the fact that you met a goal and set a PR, and come back stronger next time.

• 2 months later...

Today was a better day for pulling 120 kilos plus handle :D

Next time I'll get a photo

I also did 470 kilos on the Partial Deadlift

:D

Good Luck mobsterone, my best is about a hundred below you.  I would suggest weighing your plates and even taking a pic or having a witness look at that, so that when you pull the 270 all the wannabe's on the net dont claim your record as tainted/fabricated.

I believe that the record is held by Brad Gillingham at 280 pounds.

You mean its gone up since the original posting ####!! THis means war in the gym and a little more effort :angry:

I'm not sure what the record is.  In one MILO, Wade Gillingham reports Brad as pulling an "easy" 275lbs.  Then, in another MILO, the WR is stated at 263.5lbs by Jan Bartl I think?  Better just email Dr. Strossen.