My strong young friend.

Just got back from doing come climbing (bouldering) with a friend of mine.  I had posted about him in the past, saying how close he got on the #2 without training for it.  Well, we got back to my house, and I wanted to test him on some hand strength.

He wanted to try the softball lift first.  So he started with 53.5 lbs, easily.  Then 63.5, which he did easily enough to warrant a 78.5 lb attempt.  He said his forearms felt really pumped.  He missed that attempt, but if he were fresh (remember, we just got back from bouldering) I bet he could have done it easily.  Then we tried plate pinches.  He did 25's easily, and upright rowed them a few times.  They are sorta wide too.  Then he tried 35's and upright rowed them as well!  I was very impressed.  By this time, his forearms were too pumped to close the #2, but I think I got the grip training itch started in him.  He is a friend of mine, who is 17.  With hands somewhere over 8" in length.  Haven't measured.  He said his father had strong hands too.  This guy has some potential!

Michael Falkov

P.S. I'll be 18 on Sunday. :)

PLEASE!!!!  Dont tell us that stuff!!!!!  I am struggling with 2-35s and I have been training for over 10 years-of course, I just started grip training a month ago. :D  

Atleast I can close the #2 :p  :p  :p

Sounds like a strong kid with some great potential-good luck!

Rick Walker :hehe

Plate pinching strength seems to be heavily determined by

how rough your hands are + size (and strength of course).

I bet your friend has really rough and dry hands from rock

climbing, mine on the other hand are pretty soft and greasy despite repping with the #2 and pinching dumbbells and plates. Best I can do with plates right now is 2 25's but dropping the pinky and ring fingers off. Hmmm.. maybe I should try 35's.

Nevertheless pinching 2 35's without any specific training

is indicative of superior genetics for hand strength IMHO.

How much can your friend squat, bench or deadlift?

He doesn't really work out besides rock climbing.  Yup, he does have superior genetics in my opinion.  Also, I was mistaken, he does some pinch training.  He told me he holds two 5lb plates together while he watches TV.  Even so, I don't think thats how he is able to do 35's.

Michael Falkov

Here's a test of pinch grip strength for your friend:

Ask him to pinch 4 ten pound plates (40 pounds).  It's wide, and if he can do it, try 50 pounds (5 ten pound plates).  I was able to do 50 pounds, but with much difficulty.