Grip Meet At Dale Harder's Place

Clay Edgin

I just got this list of events and information from Dale Harder (oldtimer). If you're interested in attending, email him at daleharder@comcast.net for information on how to get there. No entry fee.

Events:(Max. three tries each event)

Dynamometer (best hand)

Handgrippers (best hand)

Pinch Grip (max. wt.)--possibly with 3" pinch block or just pick up barbell plates --haven't decided yet.

Farmer's Walk for 25' with maximum weight

Demo Events afterwards: I can supply apples and a couple of phone books but maybe you (Clay) and other competitors could bring the other items--playing cards, etc.

Wrench bend/break

Nail bend/break

Soda can burst

Apple crush

Phone book tear

Card tear

Inch dead lift

Entrant's choice--dead lift, bench press, squat, chinups, what have you.

Points awarded: Cumulative points awarded for each event using Dale's Sports Comparison Book + new points tables for events not in there multiplied by coefficients for bodyweight & age. Also height if the majority wish it so.

FYI - the farmer's walk will be using my bars. The handles are set about 20" off the ground when loaded with plates and they are knurled. Expect to walk with some big weights!

I might add that the meet's in Castro Valley CA which is in the Bay Area, about 5 miles from the Oakland Airport. Good news is that anyone who competes will become a star, well, almost. I'll be taking pictures and will post them and results in my newsletter--Dale Harder's Strength & Speed Newsletter. If you're really a stud you could end up in one of my books and become world-famous, well, at least you'll be much better known in strength circles. Ask Clay about the millions in endorsements and performance fees that I've secured for him. :whistel;) Well maybe he hasn't seen much money yet but it could happen. :cool I know this is kind of short notice but I'm putting the meet together now because Clay will be leaving the area and we wanted to get him involved in one more meet here in the Bay Area.

Myself, David Horne and Clay are all in the latest book and many is the time I have had women run up to me in the street throw their arms around me etc and you will here me whisper - 'thanks Dale'.... :tongue

Steve, I have the same problem and I'm not even in the book. :cool Also, you're welcome. Just mail me a 20-pound note (About $30-$35) every now and then and I'll be sure to send them your address when they stop me on the street and want to know where you live. :D

I've got to add that Clay is taking this contest very seriously. He took his truck and picked up 432 phone books that they were going to throw away--no charge to him. I kid you not. I'll see if I can talk him into posting the photo of the phone books stacked in his house. The way Clay goes thru phonebooks --this is about a week's supply. :yikes

Steve, I have the same problem and I'm not even in the book. :cool  Also, you're welcome. Just mail me a 20-pound note (About $30-$35) every now and then and I'll be sure to send them your address when they stop me on the street and want to know where you live. :D

will do :D

Myself, David Horne and Clay are all in the latest book and many is the time I have had women run up to me in the street throw their arms around me etc and you will here me whisper - 'thanks Dale'.... :tongue

How do blind women recognize you? :D

The way Clay goes thru phonebooks --this is about a week's supply

I figure they'll last through the contest, or a few workouts. All I know is that I'm NOT transporting a half ton of books when I move!

DATE CHANGE GUYS.. Sorry, we've had to move it up to March 13 Sunday at noon--a week from tomorrow. We're changing it so that some key participants can make it-- a little change in plans came up. :yikes One of the guys who is a maybe attendee--I don't know him too well--who I thought was blowing smoke--turns out he may be for real--he was claiming some really big bench press and squat numbers. Talked to one of my buddies today who saw this unnamed man BP 405 for 15 reps with a reverse grip, and the gym owner said he saw him parallel squat 900+. So he can SQ and BP here too if he likes--we're flexible. :)

Edited by oldtimer

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks again to Dale and his wife Karel for their hospitality and letting us come play. Here's my account:

After picking up 22 or so decks of cards from the dollar store, I picked up Hubgeezer at the parking lot in front of his office and we drove to Marina to pick up Jake. My Explorer was full and contained 104 phonebooks, Inch, blob, two 70lb farmers walk bars, 32kg kettlebell, and a couple bags of miscellaneous stuff. Needless to say, my mileage suffered. On the way up there I started getting stomach pains that were like gas but worse than any gas I've ever felt. We got to Dale's place and started unloading stuff.

After unloading and hanging out for a few minutes, Chris (who registered for the board last night as Cpt. Crunk) showed up. I had never met him before. Deceptively thick guy who does track & field at the collegiate level. Then Ryan (ryaneverk2) showed up and we got down to business with the dynos and grippers. I apologize for not knowing everyone else's numbers, although I do think that Hubgeezer squeezed over 80kg a few times. I'm really bad about remembering what everyone else did. I hit 114kg, 116kg, and 115kg which I think is good for me because I've only been training things like braced bending and different forms of tearing in the last couple of months. Then we did grippers and spent some time gauging each one compared to the others. I think I closed a BBSM, #3, and RB240 that was harder than the #3. The #3 was solid too, but the 240 was just a little harder at the close. The next gripper up was a RB300 that was tougher than most #4's I've tried so I didn't even attempt it.

We moved downstairs to play with plate pinching and by this time my stomach was just killing me. I sat outside for a while trying to relax while it gurgled and popped. Then I came back in and did 5-10's, then 5-10's again but with the index and middle finger. It should be noted that these 10's are thinner than any other 10's I've seen before. I think Hubgeezer and Chris both pulled the five 10's with either hand too.

We went outside to play with the farmers walk bars next. We were going for max weight possible for a distance of 25 ft around Dale's curved walkway. Ryan took 160 in each hand for a 25ft ride for his first time doing it, which was good considering he weighed between 160-165. Dale and Jake made a few runs, although I don't know what the weights were. I want to say that Dale went with 120 per hand. Not bad for a guy in his sixties who recently had shoulder surgery, eh? Chris was the star of the FW event though, taking an outrageous 310 per hand for a 25ft walk. Oh yeah, he only weighs 240 and this was his first day trying the farmers walk. I was the official implement retriever and got my warmups in by picking up the weights people took 25' back to the beginning point because it was easier to load more plates onto the bars there. After walking Chris' 310 back, they loaded up 340 for me but then I thought "Hey, why not just make it an even 700lbs?" So we slapped on some 5's and I took 350 per hand for the full ride. I'd like to say it was easy, but it wasn't! I kept losing my step, and the handle in my left hand kept wanting to come out, so I made a conscious effort to reclose the left hand everytime I felt it slipping. In between the farmers attempts, we were ripping books.

Have to go. More later

Cool stuff, great job guys.

Clay I have added a new fear to my top ten worst fears. That is being in a car with you or Dave for a long drive with your stomach gurgling. I am guessing only bad things are about to come. :yikes Thankfully on webcams Dave's gas is heard and not smelt. He makes a point of shoving his ass up to the microphone and clicking the talk button so that all can enjoy his accomplishments. Specially since the gas is his only accomplishments lately...

Greg

Heck, I wish this was the kind of gas that got passed! It was bubbling like a cauldron. Once I got home and ate something (first thing since twelve hours earlier when I had a bowl of oatmeal) it finally calmed down.

More

We went back inside to do more feats. Hubgeezer was lifting the hub and the RT and pulled a PR of 188.75 I believe. He also pulled 65.5lbs on the hub. I grabbed a few bundles of books and tore through them. Ryan also got in on the action and was mangling books left and right. I taught Dale's wife the technique for tearing and while she had the technique right, she just couldn't muster the strength to get through it. She broke the cover on top but couldn't go any further. I left a bundle of books with Dale and Karel to practice, and I expect to see some ripped books in two weeks at the NorCal contest!

I decided to start doing some braced bending since the stomach was feeling better and tried a 15" x 1/2" G2 bolt like I have in my gallery. I kinked it in the dead center, but as I went to crush it down, I noticed that only one end was bending and it was VERY difficult. Something in the way this bolt was manufactured made it bend very unevenly, and instead of one U shaped bend in the middle, there were two distinctive bends in the middle of the bolt and it turned into a weird looking J shape. I gave it to Ryan so maybe he can post a picture of it to show you what I mean. Then I did a wrench and a 20"x1/2" HRS bar and crushed it so the ends were touching, but opened up to 1". Sometime during all this I lifted the Inch a couple times with the cheater bar in place. Also closed my hard #4 in a choker for 2 reps, which was a PR.

I brought a 5-pack of diet soda (used to be a six pack, but I got thirsty earlier on) and we went outside to practice the fine art of making them explode. I did one in a few squeezes, and the top of the can flew right where everyone was standing before I suggested they moved. I think they should make can-top shooting for distance a sport in grip competitions.

After some kettlebell juggling, I had Dale autograph my copy of Strong, Stronger, Strongest and we were on our way. Ryan, Chris, Jake, and Dale were kind enough to take some phonebooks. The stack in my dining room is dwindling away, that's for sure.

The day flew by, like it always does, and I had a great time. The whole way home we talked about how much fun we had. It would be cool to hook up with these guys once more before I move too. Overall, I was happy with my performances especially those relating to crushing strength since I haven't done much of that in the last couple of months other than test a few grippers. Maybe rest is good after all!

Chris was the star of the FW event though, taking an outrageous 310 per hand for a 25ft walk.  Oh yeah, he only weighs 240 and this was his first day trying the farmers walk.  I was the official implement retriever and got my warmups in by picking up the weights people took 25' back to the beginning point because it was easier to load more plates onto the bars there.  After walking Chris' 310 back, they loaded up 340 for me but then I thought "Hey, why not just make it an even 700lbs?" So we slapped on some 5's and I took 350 per hand for the full ride.  I'd like to say it was easy, but it wasn't!  I kept losing my step, and the handle in my left hand kept wanting to come out, so I made a conscious effort to reclose the left hand everytime I felt it slipping. 

Chris sounds very strong.

350# a side for yourself-25ft.Nice job.

especially after being the implement retreiver! :cool and ripping phonebooks in between attempts.

Great report.

Great report Clay. It sounds like some serious feats were going on :bow

Clay, great report. Although it's nothing to brag about my FW was with 160s for 25'. Better than I expected so I was happy. Clay was being modest--Chris's 310s in the FW were truly great, and so was Clay's 350s. Ryan at age 18, 5'11, and only 160 lb managed to tear 8 phone books. Just for the record, the width of the five plates totalled 3 3/8". In all fairness, when doing pinch lifts with plates we should probably submit the total width as well as the number of plates.

We enjoyed having all you guys over--you even thought of taking the coke can crush outside before I reminded you. :D

We enjoyed having all you guys over--you even thought of taking the coke can crush outside before I reminded you.  :D

Clay's just a thoughtful guy like that. :D

That was a good report though, Clay. It was sure a fun day. Being pretty new to grip and weight training, I was really blown away by the stuff done, especially by Clay. Seeing someone mash a 4 that's in a choker, and then I take it and can't even get it to budge, and can hardly move it when I squeeze it w/ my knees... it's real humbling, that's for sure.

I met a fellow named Al, 72 years old, who when he was 70, deadlifted 424 pounds for the state record, I believe. Oldtimer (Dale) could say for sure.

Clay bent a few bolts and bars, one being a 20" long, 1/2" diameter HRS bar, I believe. After he bent it, we asked him to try it as a gripper, and he then clicked the ends together a few times for us. I can't even get it to move halfway, using two hands. :blush

It was a cool experience for someone new to grip. Dale was generous to have us all over at his house. Luckily we didn't break his sidewalk with the farmer's walk implements. Clay generously gave me 16 phonebooks! I can get through the pretty good, so I'm gonna take my time with them and share the fun with others. Maybe I can get my dad to learn to do them. :phone

Hubgeezer's lifts on the Rolling Thunder and IM hub were certainly impressive. And Chris's Farmer's walk was awesome. Clay did some juggling with a 32kg kettlebell, and that was pretty cool. We burst some coke cans (well, Clay and Chris did... my shoulders were pretty shot from the day before, and I tried and tried, but could only get mine to slowly start fizzing out... no big burst for me :( ). Clay also brought quite a few decks of cards, and we went through those. I did a stack of 30 a few times (first time tearing cards for me :cool ). Clay showed us how by tearing through one with 3.5 layers of duct tape on it. I got to take home some souvenirs of bent metal, wrench, and torn up cards, plus the phonebooks.

This would've have been possible without Dale and Clay's generosity. I met some cool guys, learned a lot, and did some new stuff that was more than I thought I would've done. I was expecting to just go to watch, but I ended up participating in everything.

Anyway, that was a pretty haphazard description of the day. It was damn fun. :rock

Hello everyone. I'm Chris, and I want to thank Dale for the meet. It was a ton of fun. Everyone was great a bunch of nice guys. I was most happy with my FW with the 310 but the soda can pop was prettg cool too. Its always been one of my goals.

Caly tore through book and cards like it was butter, Ryan and Jake made me look like wuss with thier tearing skills too.

Hubgeezer got's some strong fingers I tell ya, hub pinching 70 some pounds and closing the BBSM.

Oldtimer and chance and seeing those pictures online?

Dale sent me the pictures from his camera although it will be a day or so before I can upload them.

It looks like I will be the last participant to weigh in.

It was a very interesting group, with guys ranging in age from 16 to 72. The group was very supportive of one another. I enjoyed the company of every person, and each had something to contribute. The talents and skills varied, and the younger ones were very aggressive learners. They had no problem diving in, giving 100% effort on phone books and soda cans. Chris, Ryan, and Jake, nice going!

I, as a geezer, did not want to risk injury or failure, and stuck to the familiar. I doubt if I will ever do a Farmer's Walk, as I only see the opportunity for injury with no payoff as an upside. Dale, on the other hand, showed tremendous adventurous spirit in charging ahead with the big weights dangling down.

It was fun to meet Dale, as I have spent dozens of hours staring at his strength charts from one of his books. I have spent a lot of time trying to figure out how I can be a better grip guy than I was a track and field athlete, especially when I spent much hard work as a teen killing myself during practice for improvement. His charts gave me a chance to chase dreams again, and that is without making adjustments for age or equipment!

Clay Edgin, as usual, was on a different planet of performance than the rest of us. Yet, I am sure it didn't bother anybody.

I was happy to squeeze 84 kg on the Dyno, as it gives me something to shoot for to beat at the Grip Decathlon in 9 days. As a measly #2 closer, it was more than I expected to squeeze.

The only bummer was that my 23-year-old son was not able to make it, as he would have jumped right in on everything that I avoided. Clay, I hope you will have a few of those phonebooks left and a few minutes to teach him before you blow this town.

But best of all about the whole thing, it was a great opportunity to start to get mentally prepared for March 26 at Kevin Meskew's Grip Decathlon. I hope that there is an influx of contestants and participants, from the Gripboard and beyond.

Dale, I hear you are participating on the 26th. Thank you again for Sunday. Tell your friend to try those reverse hypers for his back...I couldn't do Rolling Thunder if it wasn't for them!

Hubgeezer