Busted!

DuTCH

Today i wanted to do some hose clamps again on my #3. I got it set at 3/8", put the hose right at the end of the spring. Well, anyway, had done my reps on my #1 and 2, and was ready for a close on the #3. Bang, the stupid hose clamp just bursts open!!

I don't know if this is due to the sissy hose clamps i used, or that i let it in there for a week. I don't think it is because it stayed in there too long, because after reading all the posts about clamps i thought it would be safe.

Luckily there was no harm done, the hose just sprung open horizontally, and i didn't end up with a set of braces :D

Later on i will post a pic of the sissy hose clamps i got....

Today i wanted to do some hose clamps again on my #3. I got it set at 3/8", put the hose right at the end of the spring. Well, anyway, had done my reps on my #1 and 2, and was ready for a close on the #3. Bang, the stupid hose clamp just bursts open!!

I don't know if this is due to the sissy hose clamps i used, or that i let it in there for a week. I don't think it is because it stayed in there too long, because after reading all the posts about clamps i thought it would be safe.

Luckily there was no harm done, the hose just sprung open horizontally, and i didn't end up with a set of braces :D

Later on i will post a pic of the sissy hose clamps i got....

i would like to see why your hoseclamps are gay and compare them to mine. i did put one on my 3 last nite and set it to 1/4", but i held the gripper tight the entire time i had it on there.

Dutch -sounds like much cheapness to me!

The ones I got were cheap, but good quality, very strong. I clamped the HG300 in it and its been like that for weeks now.

Find a decent Ironmongers !

Hmmmm.

I have stainless steel home depot clamps. I bought the larger size to go around the top of the handles vs the springs ( which would allow a smaller weaker spring to be used ) and this has never happened yet I have 3 grippers in clamps as we speak. A BBE, a 2004#3, and a BBSM

The 2004 #3 has been in a clamp since the end of Nov.

Are your clamps stainless steel..mine were like 1.60 each and their size is approx from 3-5 inch expansion...remember this is doubled because it is wrapped around the top of the gripper handles.

I put hose clamps on the handles and didn't have a problem with the clamp breaking.

I never used it though because the hose clamp was in the way of my hand.

-HH

Dutch Iam glad that you are ok.

I had hit my DVD and almost hit my cat chubby.

Always use hose clamp at the spring side and the handles.

This way your safe.

heheh, your cats name is chubby moon?

mines names are jake and bruce

I think the key is to get ones that have holes for the threads to grip vs. teh stamped shape. Looking at them, you can just tell that they'd be more likely to fail, because the metal only has to bend for it to fail. For the ones with holes, the metal has to tear, which isn't gonna happen very dang easy.

heheh, your cats name is chubby moon?

mines names are jake and bruce

cool I had cats most of mine like they seem to like

I be walk on the sidewalk a cats want me to be petted.

I like the Hi-torque clamp I have one left for a grip friend.

I never had problems with the hose-clamp breaking, although I didn't use it for very long. One thing I did as a safety precaution was to put a series of tie-wraps around the clamp and tie-wrap it to the center of the coil. That way if it pops, it won't likely shoot across the room.

thanks for the suggestions and all. I will be some more sturdy hose clamps, or put them in a choker perhaps ;)