New To Bending

GripThs

Hey guys, I just started bending about two weeks ago and i just have a simple question. I bought steel stock at Home Depot four 4' lengths of 3/16 and 1/4 inch steel and cut the 3/16 to five inch lengths and the 1/4 to 8, 7.5, 7, and 6 inch lengths. At first i could only bend the 5 inch 3/16 and barely kink the 7 inch 1/4 steel. I was originaly bending double overhand at chest height, but today about a week and half after i first attemped the seven inch 1/4 I tried double underhand at chest height, i got the 8", 7.5", and 7". I was pumped and feeling good so i tried a 6 inch piece of 1/4 and got it!!! and i did it again about five minutes later. I am so pumped!!

Ok now my question. Is the steel stock at home depot typically CRS or HRS, there was nothing on the label that said anything about the type of steel. I am assuming it is CRS because from what i have read HRS is fairly easy compared to CRS and the steel i have is by no means easy.

thanks alot guys.

on to the RED..........someday i hope.

Usually Red painted ends indicate HRS, Blue is CRS.  Great job on your bending.

NICE, the ends of the stuff i bought were all painted blue.

thanks alot man. :bow

Great work and good to have another addicted bender in the ranks. Don't get too caught up in what the 1/4" stock you obtain says. CRS or HRS - it all varies, bend everything, and if you are looking for consistency try the graded bolts, starting now for you the grade 2 common bolts. Don't make the red and beyond a "if, make it a "when"! Great start!

Congrats at your bending, as for the colors, whrer I Buy my steel the colors indicate diameter, blue is 1/4 and red is 5/16, 3/16 is yellow. Like MMainlands said, don't worry about the CRS HRS stuff just bend it all, I got caught up worrying about it, and quicky found out the CRS HRS is not always a given as to which is harder but in the end all bends are fun. so bend rest and bend somemore.

thanks alot guys, i forgot to mention, i also bent two five inch pieces of 3/16 at the same time. That was freakin hard!

Thanks again!

Ryan

yeah it was hard today but in a month it'll be easy and something else will be hard. I had 1/4x6" kicking around for about a year and it seemed impossible to me, about two months ago I acutally decided to give an honest go at bending, now it's a warm-up. You're progressing great, keep up the good work.

Boy that sounds like repeat of a post I made about 5 weeks ago or so.

I was just like you, I was bending DO and then tried the DU method and it was like night and day. So congratulations on finding your Groove Thang!

Also save yourself a ton of cash on that metal stock by going to a local steel supplier or welding shop. Check the yellow pages and if you have several options price shop. Bottom line is you can buy a 20 foot rod or a 12 foot rod both HRS and CRS for about the same or maybe a buck more than what you are probably paying for that much shorter length of stock from the hardware store.

There is another item you can try for variety and that is nails:

20d or penny nails

30d

40d

50d

60d - Just buy a few from each store and try them out, remeber to mark the bag and keep them separate. You will find like steel stock the nails may vary in yield strength required to bend them. For instance a 60d nail you purchased from say Lowes will most likely be a little stronger or weaker than say the ones you get from Home Depot or ACE hardware and many others. So shop around that's part of the fun you can have on your rest days and please take a rest between bending sessions, it's hard I know but in my experience and I had to learn the hard way that with adequate recovery you will come back stronger than the last session. Don't do what I did when I started and bent like a maniac every day for damn near 3 weeks because it forced me to take almost a week off because of the hand pain, but I came back and set a new PR (personal record) so rest - test - rest - test and now you are officially strung out on steel.

Hey don’t get scared when you find yourself either test bending stuff at the hardware store or constantly seeing things around your environment and saying “I wonder if I could bend that, I bet I could bend that fire poker, wind chime bars, aluminum baseball bat, stop sign pole, on and on - it is just part of the steel sickness taking over your mind so don’t worry you’ll get used to it in time. :laugh

Good luck and keep us all posted on your progress. I love to hear someone's success at reaching a goal. :D

GatorGrip

Many times a bending addiction starts after just the first hit.

You may be moving on to the really hard stuff sooner than

you think.

If you have "mild" steel withdrawals during your rest days

that is perfectly normal. You may have to use alot of

willpower to avoid taking a hit on your off days.

Congrats. on becoming a steel junkie! :rock

I get my steel from home depot and I was under the impression it was HRS. If anyone know what home depot carrys pls tell us.

Home Depot as well as most establishments sell both HRS and CRS if they sell steel stock.

HRS-Hot rolled steel is usually marked on the attached sticker and the ends of the steel have a shot of RED-HOT paint to signify HRS.

CRS- Cold rolled steel is usually marked on the attached sticker and the ends of the steel have a shot of BLUE-COLD paint to signify CRS.

Have a good evening and don't go on a BENDER! :laugh