tearing Phonebooks

Guest Tim

I'm interested in learning how to tear phonebooks as part of a public show. I just got on this board and I always enjoy what eferybody has to say about grip training. How much strength is really required. Thanks! :)

Welcome Tim!  I think tearing phone books is a blast, although I'm still at newbie level.  I can do 1 1/4" books fairly quickly.  I love the sound of the binding popping!  Lately, I've been doing them top to bottom.  One thing to be careful of:  I tried a 2 1/2" book just to see.  Spent about 8 or 9 minutes at full intensity, could only get about half of it to tear.  The problem is I've got some pain in both elbows that I believe was caused by the strain.  As always, I let my overenthusiasm get the best of me.   Start small, and develop technique.  The big ones will eventually fall.