Stupid Palm Pain

VeGripper

After my attempt at the G8 on Friday and the subsequent palm jabs I received from it my palms are tender as hell. Not to the point where they hurt to the touch, but even bending a blue nail causes a bit of a sharp pain where the ends rest, and anything harder is painful enough to make me quit before the bend starts going. I assume that this is something that just comes with the territory, but it sure as heck hurts like mad right now when anything pokes my palm near the area where the nail ends rest. Does everyone who goes after the tough stuff go through this at some point, or is it likely that with using DU one is more prone to it because of where the ends rest in your hands, just above the thumb pad? I was looking to work on that G8 again later this week, but with how much stuff hurts when bending now I may just have to take a week or so off for recovery before going back after it again. Oh well, gotta rest when you need it.

VeGripper

What type of padding are you using?

I developed a similar pain especially in my right hand from bending DU

with inadequate padding. Used just a dishrag ripped in half.

I stopped using block weights because the weight I used to lift and

pass hand to hand, I couldn't even budge off the floor due to pain.

I do some pinches now just not currently with block weights.

The pain should improve for you. Will it ever totally go away?

I still have some pain in that area.

The most important thing is to use adequate padding. If you are not

already-use 2 extra pieces of suede by folding them into a square and

resting one on each palm. Then place the ends of your wrapped steel

on the folded up suede squares in your palms. This seems to help some

with the pain.

With time you could always reduce the amount of suede you use.

Best of luck with your bending and your recovery!

Edited by capt. crushalot

Give your palms a rest. Then come back with a vengance. Trust me, once that thing starts bending, you'll forget about your sore palms.

Dig deep.

tboo

I've been using the IM pads exclusively as I figured that when the day comes that I'm capable of certifying on the Red Nail I wanted to be legit, but perhaps for the time being I'll dump the cordura and go for something different.

I've mentioned in previous posts that I'm not particularly keen on the idea of using leather or suede (I don't use or eat animal products at all) so finding a new alternative is going to be my goal while I take a week to rest and relax the old hands. Any suggestions on what material other than leather would do well for padding? I've seen mention of kevlar, but will that be similar to the IM cordura pads in that slippage and lack of padding is still a problem?

VeGripper

Forgot about the vegan thing.

Get a T shirt and cut it into 2 strips about 4-5 inches wide. Slap the codoura in the t-shirt. This is better than codoura by itself.

True kevlar won't work. Thaibox trid this and it will puncture. Search his old threads.

-HH

Wrap the end of the bolt in Tofu! :laugh Just Kidding Buddy - I commend you for your dietary choice because it ain't easy going up stream in this river we call life.

As we have talked before I primarily use the DU method, and especially at the beginning my palms would be very sore, but switching from a dish towel to the leather helped tremendously as does the nerve damage I have no doubt done by now. The sacrifices we make for steel?

What about some heavy canvas, you may have to fold a piece in two and then wrap the bolt or bar, but I think it would provide a descent barrier between the palms and the ends of the item that needs bending. You may need to dare I say chalk up.

I finally found one box of chalk in the whole city of Fairbanks, in (bulk) more than I will ever use at this rate since I never remember to actually put it on my hands. So when the great thaw comes here in Alaska I think I let my daughter and the neighborhood kids’ graffiti the side walk with some of it.

Well until I can explore more options for wraps for you MY FINAL ANSWER is HEAVY CANVAS Regis! :D