Whos going to Davids Grip Comp tomorrow?

Guest scott essery

Well there will be:

Ian Marsland

Paul Marsland

Faheem Chauhan

Jim Wylie

Marc Wylie

Elizabeth Talbot

Jason Horne

Scott Essery

Richard Scott

I think that's it.

Martin Whittred's only just got out of hospital and will not be there. I got out of hospital last week, and will be referee and recorder. See ya tomorrow.

David

Best wishes to all of you. Since it is endurance, I guess "hang on as long as possible" is the exhortation of the day. I hope you guys take some pictures for the grip gallery here.

Well with Oliver Horne in that will be 14 in all. The thumb ligament and back injuries were done two years ago. I was in hospital for 3 days last week. I got taken to the emergency on Monday from work with a very sore stomach and feeling quite poorly. They thought it was my appendix, but after tests and monitering it seems to have been a swollen lymph gland right beside the appendix. Anyway, they discharged me, and told me to come back if it flares up again. I feel somewhat better, but not right, so lets hope it carries on quietening down with the medicine, and rest. What fun!

David

It's been and gone.

Category A weights were as follows:

Event 1: 2 Hand Pinch Hold: 80k

Event 2: 2" Bar Hold (overhand grip behind back): 120k

Event 3: Table Top Wrist Curl Hold: 140k

Event 4: Rim Hold: 120k

Event 5: 1 Hand 2" Vertical Bar Hold: 80k

Category B weights:

2 Hand Pinch Hold: 50k

2" Bar Hold (overhand grip behind back): 80k

Table Top Wrist Curl Hold: 90k

Rim Hold: 80k

1 Hand 2" Vertical Bar Hold: 50k

Results in seconds:

Category A

1st Jim Wylie: 14, 38, 23, 16, 27, total, 118

Category B

1st Jason Horne: 44, 49, 72, 33, 35, total, 233

2nd Ed Hommers: 30, 39, 59, 41, 61, total, 230

3rd Richard Scott: 33, 29, 66, 42, 35, total, 205

4th Faheem Chauhan: 39, 52, 15, 25, 60, total, 191

5th Elizabeth Talbot: 35, 22, 81, 7, 28, total, 173

6th Marc Wylie: 41, 60, 30, 0, 14, total 145 (injured on 3rd event)

7th Louis Wilson: 27, 22, 49, 1, 28, total 127

8th Ian Marsland: 16, 29, 2, 25, 34, total 106

9th Paul Paterson: 29, 31, 3, 8, 24, total 95

10th Paul Marsland: 30, 19, 24, 2, 19, total 94

11th Ian Farish: 9, 33, 0, 0, 1, total 43

No allowances for gender, age or bodyweight were given in this contest.

Well done to all competitors,

David

Great numbers to all competitors and we wish Marc a speedy recovery. David, thanks for posting the results. Also thanks for showing me that I have got to start working on wrist curls sometime, judging by the events and weights you chose.

Guest 115-1005574997

Everyone did remarkably well, most of who didnt do much in the way of specific lifting and Ed was a dark horse who i hope has been bitten by the lifting bug! :)

Its important to realise no allowances for gender, age or bodyweight were given in this contest.  Jason is still only 15 years of age and Eliz came an excellent 5th.

Id like to say a big thanks to David, from everyone, for his hospitality in allowing us all to trample around his house, cover his gym in chalk dust, drink his tea and organise another fantasic competition.

Thanks again Dave!

If the photos come out ok, ill let you all know.

Yeah, Thanks Dave it's always great to meet everyone and get some inspiration for future events ( plus my forearms are still very sore after the wrist curl hold......ouch).

Going to start training my grip again in earnest for the British Championships.

Highlights of the day for me have to be Dave closing a PDA calibrated gripper at (if my memory serves) me 525 lbs!!!  Nice one Dave :D

Also Elizabeths wrist curl hold of 82 seconds it only looked hard at about 70 seconds.........awesome!! I for one was humbled and inspired.  

Thanks again everyone for making us feel so welcome and see you all soon.

Paul. :)

;) Yeah Dave, but you had to use chalk to close the 520 lb gripper. I mean what a wimp!! ;)  :p  Only kidding it was AWESOME.

Any ideas on what lifts may be in this years Brit's?

Cheers

Paul.  :)

They will be sorted real soon.

By the way, on Tuesday night I got the 520 to within 2mm inverted. Then I mashed the #3 inverted and held it for an easy 10 secs. This inverted gripper training is certainly paying off.

David

David ... stop it .. you're scaring me .. I mentioned it in another post but I'll say it again .. seeing you MASH that 520 gripper was jaw dropping .. has that 525 arrived yet?

Ian

Guest Silverback

WANTED: Chauffeur to work for several weeks transporting weary gorilla. Must also be prepared to wipe said beasts arse having lost use of both forearms during grip endurance event.

Seriously, did anyone else suffer after the wrist curl? The soreness didn't kick in until 24hrs later but it's burning now.

On behalf of myself (Louis) and Ed, cheers to David Horne for organising & hosting the recent endurance event. Aside from competing it's always a pleasure to peruse such a fine & extensive collection of grippers. (I also happened to witness the inverted closure on the 475lb gripper which rounded the day off nicely).

Elizabeth,

At first I thought I had clicked into the Liar's Club

(where I am most suited) but then the reality hit

that you had held that wrist curl for well over a

minute, and almost a minute and a half.

NOW, I AM going to the Liar's club- it's the only place

I can compete with you!

Congratulations!

Hi all,

Joe: thanks for your kind words: wrist curls are my forte and i enjoy them very much (probably because of this!).

It was good to see so many people turn up, and especially the new guys, who are the ones that will carry on the sport in years to come when the likes of David, Joe Roark and Richard Sorin are no longer able to make the grip legends live on.

I feel that we shouldn't forget Jason Horne's amazing performance: a 15 year old, who, with no age or bodyweight allowance, placed 1st above 9 fully grown-men and me! I learnt not too many months ago that Jason has far too much potential for me, and after an injury that set me back about 4 months in lifting off the floor, I finally realised that I could no longer keep up with him. He is amazingly strong and growing by the day: if he harnesses this, it won't be too long before his Dad's running!

Jim Wylie also lifted out of his skin, and although he was the only on ein his category, his times should be recognised as far above those that most men can attain, particualrly when they have only trained their grip for a matter of months.

Marc deserved better I felt, and I was gutted for him. He should have been at least third, to his credit. But, on the day, he wasn't and so my congratulations to all those who surpassed their own standards and attended to give it a go.

Look forward to seeing every one at the next event,

Elizabeth