Ripped Skin

Rick Walker

Last week when I bought the 40 and 60 penny nails, I managed to poke a hole into the base of my thumb with the nail.  THe hole has now turned into a rip.  It is right along the inside of my thumb at the first joint and is almost a half inch long now.

Every time I do anything it rips back open and I train grip on T/Th/Sun and weights M/W/Sat so I dont really have any off time.

I tried electrical tape but it hinders my pinch gripping-I cant get ahold of the weight good with the tape there.

Any suggestions to a quick fix?? Time off isnt an option right now-

Rick Walker :hehe

Guest Askalas

Keep Neosporin on it with band aids.  This helped me quickly heal a rip from pinching.  It won't keep it from ripping while working out but it will hasten the healing process in your off time...be sure to have it on while sleeping.  Hope it gets better soon.

BTW Although I have never tried it and would hesitate doing this, I've heard that superglue will help hold a cut or rip in the skin together quite well.

Guest JSallee

Yeah, superglue.  I use it while O lifting, when I would ripe a calluse off.   There is a brand that is water solluble (sp).  I can't remember the name of it right now.  If I remember I will let you know.  

While not training just follow good wound care practices, keep it clean, neosporin or similar ointment.  I would not keep it covered while your sleeping, if you plan on using glue.  It needs to breath in order to heal quicker,  as long as it is not activly bleeding.  

I can picture the bottle of that stuff, I just can't remeber the name.  Sorry, I'll think of it.

Josh

Thanks guys-I thought about gluing it but I didnt know if that would be a good idea or not.  J-when you think of the glue shoot me a line-

THanks,

Rick Walker

:hehe

I am a dental technician and in the lab we cut ourselves with surgical scalpels  and rapidly tuning cutting disks (40 000 revs per min) etc. We do use superglue for a quick mend but you must remember that even though it burns like h ell :crazy  superglue isn’t sterile. You do risk infection if you use it! But it does get the job done nicely!! :D

Guest JSallee

Rick,

I am sorry for the life of me I can not remember the name of that stuff.  

Also I thought about another mend.  If you have a bowling alley with a Pro Shop near, check and see if they carry a synthetic callus kit.  It will have these small patches of cloth and a bottle of liquid, similar to clear finger nail polish.  This would probably offer more protection than simply holding the wound edges together.  

GeneticP - I work in surgery and within the last couple of years one of the suture companies developed a type of "glue" for the skin that is sterile and inert.  It is only safe for dermal use, and it is water proof.    It is also very expensive, around 100 US dollars.  It's called Dermabond, made by Ethicon.