Stock And Nails In Europe

rolf

I'm closing in on the IM blue in my bending. After that I plan to start buying stock and nails from hardware stores. What kinds of nails or stock have you other guys used past the IM blue that I might find in Finland?

Rolle

my advice is to go to your local steelsupplier and buy some 8mm round hrs steel and maybe some 6mm square hrs/crs. I am from sweden and buy all my steel from a finnish company called kousakoski.

Thanks for the tip, Pappis! It seems Kuusakoski is from the neighbouring city, so I may make the trip there some day. It's that recycling company, right? How would you compare the stocks you suggested to the one used for the IM blue and yellow?

An update on my schedule for needing new stuff: I just bent my first IM blue 1.5 hours ago, and it took a whole 20 seconds. :rock I was going to do two yellows with 1 cm (2/5") cut off as my top bends, but as my girlfriend timed the first one at 10 seconds, I decided to try the blue. Damn I'm glad! :cool I'll need to bend a few blues more before going tougher, but anyway.

Rolle

Edited by rolf

Hi Rolle,

congratulations for the IM blue. :bow

I train with nails (usually with head and tip cut off with a bolt cutter), they are sold in several sizes (I live in Germany):

6mm * 180mm (easier than a blue)

7mm * 210mm (these vary from a little harder to much harder than a blue)

7,6mm * 230mm (these vary too, I would rate them at about 80% to 90% of a IM Red)

"hard" and "easy": when comparing with an IM blue or IM Red I cut the nails to the size of a blue or a red.

These nails are cheap here, 5kg (~100 nails) for 4 to 7 Euro (3 to 6 $), if you can bend the blue, I would advice to buy 7mm nails and practice with them.

Greetings

Gerrit

to be honestly i haven't tried the blue nail or any im nail, but if it in anyway compares to the 6mm crs that i bought from kuusakoski i would sagest you to try the square 6mm crs or perhabs the 8 mm round hrs. (he 6mm square hrs is slightly easier than the rund crs). I think you should by some of each since it's not that expensive, and experimenting is half the fun :tongue

Thanks for your tip also, Gerrit! I'll need to check out who sells nails that size. It seems most regular hardware stores here only sell the small and pansy ones. :)

Rolle