Hard Bolts Slipping While Bending

VeGripper

Well, I gave the G8 a good shot today, but only kinked it a few degrees with two tries. I'm getting ill AGAIN so that's not helping me any, but I refuse to let it be my excuse for not making the full bend :D Anyway, one problem I've noticed with short G5 (5.5" and under) and the 6" G8 bolts is that while the hex head end stays secure through the bend, I can't seem to lock down the the threaded end well to feel secure through the bend every time. I only bend with the IM pads so I've got minimal padding, and I chalk them up before every hard bend as well as chalking my hands, too. For whatever reason, even if I wrap the suckers tightly I just don't get that good secure feel for the bolt bend when I need it. If it is up to a 6" G5, no big deal because I know it is going down easily enough, but when going for a PR like today and feeling it slide in one side it can be pretty annoying, even when I chalk the pads and the tip of the bolt. Any suggestions, or is this just the cross to bear for using the IM pads?

VeGripper

This happens to me as well.

IM pads suck for bending. Period. It slips worse than a greased turd, you have to use more chalk than you would for a gripper, and finally they shouldn't be called "Pads."

It hurts more to bend a G5 with these than if you use a good rag.

:trout:flame:trout:flame

Now we must adapt for the time being.

-HH

It's kind of obvious, but I have to concentrate on gripping the bar just a little bit tighter when using those pesky things. And of course pushing on the ends harder than a used car salesman helps as well.

ERIC

That post was both informative and quite humorous, which is a combination that's hard to beat. I like you and I like your style.

VeGripper I know what you mean about slippage even when you use leather this can happen, but I do not use chalk so maybe I should start.

The bottom line is your first Grade 8 ain't exactly straight , so by God thats a PR in my book. If it bent some, it will bend some more and so on until it makes a U or V shape.

That's why we call you VeGripper because what you grip will eventually end up in a V. :rock

So be happy with this accomplishment, you don't have to be satisfied to leave it that way for long.

Gator makes a good point about any degree of bend being a PR on a new piece of steel. It works for me!

You'll get it in no time VeGripper!

try adding a small piece of (emery cloth sandpaper ) the kind you use for metal add it inside your wrap it should lock onto your nail :)

First of all VeGripper, did you manage to leave the FB stock alone until your attempt? Next YOU KINKED A G8 BOLT, need I say more, and lastly in my mind you did good to even make the IM pads feel tight, sometimes I'm wrapping and rewrapping 2-3 times until I get what I think is the best wrap I can get.

Again You kinked a G8, next time it'll be a bigger kink or a complete crush, Go get it!!!

Lyle, I did manage to leave the FB stock alone for a bit - but after the G8 wouldn't go too far, I grabbed the new stuff and worked it over. The hex stock was definitely fun - 6" wasn't bad, 5.5" took a little more work (probably around what it feels like for a 6" G5 or close to it) and I'm looking forward to trying the 5" to see how it goes. The 5/16" G2 bolts were fun - it is an ego boost to be able to bend something that big around, even if it isn't as difficult as it looks :) Fun stuff, for sure! I have to give a big thumbs-up to John at FB for being innovative enough to offer so many levels to work with, unlike IM where you get a blue then red and nothing in between. That, and I'm far too lazy to hunt down and cut all my own stuff, so having someone else do it quickly and for a good price is great in my book.

GatorGrip, you always know how to keep spirits up, and thanks again for putting things in perspective in that every little step counts. You ever consider becoming a motivational speaker? :)

HH, Eric and Dan, the thoughts and suggestions were definitely appreciated and I'll have to focus a bit more on holding tightly - if not, I'll give the sandpaper a try and see if that will do it. Always nice to get feedback from those who are way ahead of the game!

Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement. Yes, the IM pads are terrible much of the time, but I figure that I may as well learn things the hardest way possible. I do consider the slight kink to be a new PR for sure - next time, that thing is going down hard! I've sustained a few nice palm jabs that are a bit uncomfortable from trying the get it, but a few days of rest and I'll be back again good as new!

What I don't understand is this - if IM is so concerned over our hand health that they don't want to release a nail above the red, why do they require red certification to be done only with their pads, the most likely culprits of injury from lack of padding protection and potential for slippage? Just something to ponder.

VeGripper

VeGripper,

I always tape my IM pads when I bend. It saves you the frustration of the pads coming apart during training. For your big bends, I would reccomend re-wrapping everytime, but for your smaller bends you can just cut the heads of the nails or bolts and then re-use the wrap you made for your first bend for the next bend.

NOTE: I never bent without tape until it came to my cert, and I had all kinds of problems with the wrap coming apart during the first bend. I managed to bend all three, but the first hurt the worst because the wrap was half undone as I bent it............. So, before you cert, practice without taped wraps!!!

Good Luck!!

:rock