Mike Potts's Quantum Leap In Bending

EricMilfeld

Mike showed up last night for some card tearing and bending. After we both struggled through a couple of decks and compared brands we left the paper and moved onto the steel. Mike's best ever effort with a 6" grade 8 had been a modest kink, but best evers are destined to become stepping stones along the way to the bending greatness when one is blessed with as much determination as Mike demonstrates. Well, he completely demolished the grade 8 in no time at all. We were both so pumped after this that we decided to go for broke and put a 5.5 incher in Mike's hands. And down it went with only a slight bit more effort. Now that' the way to set new personal records - two at a time! It looks like Mike's ready for his trip to the Night of Strength at the Arnold next week, now!

A video should be coming soon.

Wow, great job.

Congrats on those PRs.

Can't wait to see the vid.

Great Job Mike!

I hate missing out on these get togethers. I would love to have seen it. Great determination!

W

Thanks guys. I wrapped the G8 thinking I would just give a good effort and maybe at NOSIII I could get fired up enough to get it. I gave it hell and the thing just gave way. I was like, whoa (Keanu Reeves style). So I did a 2nd one just to make sure it wasn't a fluke. No problem there. So we said, lets try a 5.5". To be honest, it felt about the same, just a little tougher crushdown. So, when he said 5"? I said, how about a red? Eric says, 7"? I'm like, naw, 6" fits my body better. So I gave a go at a 6" Red. Well, I hit the floor (damn near passed out!) Eric turned off the camera and I was like, hey, if Pat can damn near pass out and go for more, so can I! Well, I attacked it again but no go. Well, we unrapped it and I'll be damned if there wasn't about 1/4 to 1/2" of deflection. I'm pretty happy with that. Then we tried a 4.5" G5. Got it to 45* or so but by then I couldn't finish it. Eric took care of it for me :) So, yea, I was pretty psyched after all that. Who knows, maybe we can go just a little bit further :)

I made the offer for Eric to travel with my wife and I, but unfortunately work and family commitments won't allow him to come :(

I really didn't want Eric to come with us, I just thought it would be nice to have a truck driver to handle the 13.5hr one way trip for us!

Video soon hopefully, If you read about my 2 hands anyhow I broke my camera. Got a new one but there is a problem with the card reader and my laptop and I can't get it to stay connected long enough to transfer the large video file. I'll get it figured out sooner or later.

You maniac, jumping from a 5.5 grade 8 to a 6 inch red! But thats a good thing, being a maniac is just what you need in the big bends!

Believe it or not we were not going for humor on that second video. At the time I was thinking "come on Mike, get up, you're embarrassing us", as if my nerdy encouragement wasn't embarrassing enough! :)

But great effort buddy!!!

Another piece of steel bites the dust, Now you can lay it down to rust!

Way to scrap that iron with those steel claws of yours! Congratulations on a job well done. :rock

I guess so. Before I wasn't putting as much hand on the nail, more "pistol gripping" the nail and pushing on the ends. Now, while I'm still pushing hard on the ends, I'm bending alot more and I think that is what made the difference. My wraps were fresh cut leather and were quite long making a thicker OD wrap, perhaps that fits my hand better as well?

Mike are you sure that 5.5 G8 wasn't a coat hanger? That was Awsome, can anyone say new Red Nail Bender?

as for the 6" Red, hey nothing like putting both feet in the fire to start. but man you gave it all.