5/16, Hrs. Crs, Zinc Plated

Lyle

I'm fully aware that 5/16 CRS is harder than HRS but if the 5/16 HRS ranked 1 and 5/16 CRS ranked 10, what number would you pick to rank zinc coated 5/16th?

As we know that on average that crs may be harder, it is not always true so it will be hard to judge. I can say from experience that I recently bought some 5/16" zinc coated, and it was the easiest 5/16 of any type I've ever tried. It felt heavy and looked ok, but when I bent it, it was soft and bent in a wide "u". So on your scale I would call that a -5.

I must be buying some weird zinc plated steel, because every piece I've purchased at Home Depot around here has been as tough or tougher than a red.

Edited to take my comments to PM :)

Edited by ClayEdgin

Lyle,

The problem is that the EXACT piece of steel you are buying may not match the piece of steel we are buying. The point of this is, the only way to tell is to bend it and compare. It is like asking if your #3 is tougher than mine. Only way to tell would be to compare them. Most people say that Zinc plated is easier than common CRS steel. Most people say HRS is easier than CRS. There is always an exception to this. If I was to bet, I would bet that your zinc plated is easier than the red.

Greg

I agree. I've talked to several other people who say their plated steel is easier than HRS, so I just have some freaky stuff here.

I have not noticed any difference in zinc plated stuff, though I have only bent 3/16" round and 3/16" square plated, as opposed to the same dimension stuff that was HRS. I don't feel that much of a difference between 1/4" CRS and HRS round stock either, however.