York 50 Lb Blob

BigT

Last year I bought a york blob from John Brookfield who said his friend had an extra one. I told John that I weighed it at less than 50 lbs and he said "the weight of the blobs varies." He knew I've always dreamed of lifting the 50 lb blob york blob. My question is do all 50 lb blobs say "york 100 on the side?" I have a broken weight scale that my mom says is a few pounds off. She weighed it at 50 lbs and the most I weighed it at was 47.5. Any help would be apperciated!

Edited by BigT

The blob I bought weighs 52.46 lbs according to the digital chemistry scale in our lab. I'm sure they vary greatly since they are caste iron molds.

I'd take it to a doctor's scale or something more accurate than your bathroom scale to get a proper reading.

I thought they only said York on the one end...maybe I'm wrong??

I think you're right. Mine has 100 on it, I guess the other half had the york on it. Haven't weighed it though so cannot say for sure i what mine weighs.

Pick-up blob and get on scale...read the weight

Set down the blob and get on scale...read the weight

What is the difference?

That should be fairly close and you can compare it to weighing the blob alone and find the difference there. This works well for my kids...Within a 1-2 lbs from Dr. visits. Children squirm and a blob doesn't so it should be easier...

-Keith

At least here in my town, the Post Office will weigh them for you, their scales are certified. the say York on one end and the weight of the original DB on the other. My Blob weighed 52.9 on my digital scale and 52 even at the Post Office. My Blob50 weighs in at 50# 2 Oz at the PO, and yes I can tell the difference. One comes up and the other won't - YET! The shape of different Blobs also varies a good bit - some being more rounded etc.

One says Side says 100 the other says York. All of the blob I have ever sold (3-4) including Climber511's blob have been over 52lbs

Thanks for the tips, I'll get a better scale and weight it when I can. I always thought that a 50 lb blob york had to have 100 on it as well, thanks guys...wait I'm thinking...that's why I love this board ;)

Shouldn't you be able to tell by the dimesions? I thought brookfield said that if you picked up the 95 blob you were still a ways off from the hundred since the size was so different. The width should tell you, but I don't have any so I am not sure.

Each of the blobs will weigh AT or above 50 pounds. The handle itself weighs 1 pound, so basically it's a cast DB that is well over it's marked 100 pounds. :)

Each of the blobs will weigh AT or above 50 pounds.  The handle itself weighs 1 pound, so basically it's a cast DB that is well over it's marked 100 pounds.  :)

The original blob weighs in at 52.5 and that 2 1/2 lbs does make a difference! Most of the york dumbells did weigh heavy...sometimes by quite alot! Just a little deviation such as in lifting a 47.5 is a world of difference in feeling as compared with a dead on Blob 50 so those over 50 are in a class of difficulty of their own. As an aside..A VERY interesting error occured not long ago at the foundary that produces Inch replica bells. The cast iron mixture was different than normal and produced an exact sized Inch bell that weighed ......get this..............40lbs light! I never knew that there were different densities of common cast iron...RS

Each of the blobs will weigh AT or above 50 pounds.  The handle itself weighs 1 pound, so basically it's a cast DB that is well over it's marked 100 pounds.   :)

The original blob weighs in at 52.5 and that 2 1/2 lbs does make a difference! Most of the york dumbells did weigh heavy...sometimes by quite alot! Just a little deviation such as in lifting a 47.5 is a world of difference in feeling as compared with a dead on Blob 50 so those over 50 are in a class of difficulty of their own. As an aside..A VERY interesting error occured not long ago at the foundary that produces Inch replica bells. The cast iron mixture was different than normal and produced an exact sized Inch bell that weighed ......get this..............40lbs light! I never knew that there were different densities of common cast iron...RS

Did any of these reject Inch replicas get distributed?

How about when you buy weight by the pound and find out the weights are light. Didn't get what you paid for..........but on the other hand you might have a collectors item kind of like an easy 3.

If I could get 2-45s, 3 -25s, and 5 - 10s made from that light weight steel .......... maybe I could .....................

I believe Meat Loaf had one of those light Inches. And I think he returned it to Sorinex for a correct one.