Using Worse Leverage On Grippers

Zakath

I have recently started to move my hand closer to the spring when I'm closing my #3 because I need more resistance, but my #4 is too hard.

At the moment I have put my whole pinky on the handle instead of only the half which gives me best leverage. This makes some difference, maybe 1/5 of the resistance between the #1 and #2.

What do you think of this method and about how much harder is every step closer to the spring. (lets say one step is half of your pinky, for me that's 8mm versus 16mm)

If this has already been discussed I apologize and ask the moderators to delete this thread.

Edited by Zakath

I have done this before but don't prefer to use it if other grippers are available. It just never felt right.

I had a 2004 #3 that felt like just about every other new #3 I've tried, so I thought I'd make it harder by cutting 3/8" off the bottom of each handle, decreasing the amount of leverage I could use. It turned the gripper into a hard #4 that I could only get to 1/2" with a deep set and could not close with a choker! Much tougher indeed. I probably should have cut off 1/8".

A more consistant idea probably would be to start training the #3 with 3 fingers, and maybe inverted closes with the #2, with 2 or 3 fingers?

Are you doing negatives with the #4? If not, you really should... it's grrrrrrreat :D

At the moment I have put my whole pinky on the handle instead of only the half which gives me best leverage. This makes some difference, maybe 1/5 of the resistance between the #1 and #2.

I'm a "pinky hanger" myself... it gives me a better advantage in getting that gripper closed.

Now that I'm closing that big HG400, it matters a lot. If I can hook the pinky around those big handles - that gripper gets closed! :bow

I think that is great. I am not a big fan of strap holds, so once I can close my 3 on a consistent basis I plan to start filing down the handles. Therefore it is much more consistent than just moving your hand up. I can file it down 1/8, and when I can close it consistently, do it again. According to Clay, after the third file/cut I should be around the four level. Obviously this is all assuming that I train like a monster haha.

To gain hand strength - sure - move your hand off.

To gain points at a grip contest - do't bother.

Don't let Clay fool you. He puts more pinky on the gripper than anyone I've ever seen, making it more difficult, in my opinion. Pretty impressive, really.

-Jedd-

I tried choking up on my #2 when I was chasing the #3 and it made it harder for sure but I wasn't sure how to keep progressing with it so I quit. It makes for a nice change though

Seems to me the best way to do this as a progression model would be to just chop the handles off, that way it stays more along the lines of a real gripper close, the way it feels when you set the pinky up on the end of the handle the normal way. Only thing is, you'll never have the original gripper again.

Very interesting training idea guys.

-Jedd-

The pic of Sorin in MOHS, closing the #3, shows his pinkie way up on the gripper. You can see handle between his pinkie and the bottom :bow

The pic of Sorin in MOHS, closing the #3, shows his pinkie way up on the gripper. You can see handle between his pinkie and the bottom :bow

I have had a few phone chats with Sorin ( not since 2003) but I believe

this topic was discussed about leverage on a gripper and as I vaguely recall,

he did not seem to know about hanging your pinky off the end. He said

something to the effect that his hand was always full on.

Thanks for all the response, keep discussing it!

I think I wiil try this technique for a month or so, then I will evaluate it and let you know.