Do You Guys Use Kevlar?

Jason Paul

I'm not into bending (yet), but was wondering if you guys used kevlar for padding. I did a subject only search and only found two hits. In one I think that removing kevlar from a bullet-proof vest was discussed.

Well, I'm into sportkite flying. I know, call me whatever - it's a hobby I'm really into. Anyway, it's very common for builders to use kevlar in the nose webbing to keep the spine of the kite from puncturing the nose in a crash.

So if you guys want to get some kevlar and can't get your hands on a bullet-proof vest. you can get it from here:

http://www.kitebuilder.com/catalog/index.p...4e806a46b6943dc

or here:

http://ecom.citystar.com/hang-em-high/usho...FABRIC&pgidx=23

On the second one, look for "Kevlar Nose Webbing". I think it's the second item down.

This stuff is fairly thin, but very tough. It is also adhesive-backed, so you can stick it to other fabrics.

I was wondering is how well it would work if you just stuck two pieces back to back. Or, sewed a piece into a leather strap.

Again, I don't bend, and don't know much about it. But I thought some of you might be able to use this idea/information and sources.

Jason

Weirdo, you are into a really weird sport. Who does kite flying? Geeze, what is this world coming to with these awkward sports. Now please leave me alone while I wrap up and bend this short piece of steel that I have been training months for to bend. After that I plan to train to close my 3, a ridiculously hard gripper that has very little carryover into anything else but closing ridiculously hard grippers. ;):D

Your post came at a great time Jason Paul. I had been wondering were I could get either cordura or better yet Kevlar and somehow make it stick to one side of my leather wraps, because those bolt and nail heads tend to tear throw the leather way to quickly. Then I thought to myself will it be so slippery that the bar, nail or bolt slides or spins inside the wrap? Maybe I'll try it anyway. Thanks again for the links Jason Paul.

GatorGrip

P.S. How does a sport kite flyer fall into this kind of site?

Hey Gator,

I was into weights/grip stuff before I got into kites. However, I've been less committed to grip stuff until a renewed interest recently. I got into kites about two years ago and have been pretty absorbed in it. To be clear, it's not your Grandpa's kiting. :cool

It's amazing what some people are doing with them these days, but you'd have to know the sport and the difficulty of the tricks involved in order to appreciate it.

As for the fabrics, again I haven't tried them but it seems it would be worth a shot at least. On the kite studio link, if you click on "Fabric" on the left, then click "Banner Nylons" - the 420 denier nylon is pretty thick. If it's not actually cordura, it's close. It's pretty thick stuff. Keep in mind that it's 60" wide, so just .5 yard will get you quite a bit.

The kevlar does have an adhesive backing, and it's pretty sticky. However if you can, you may want to sew it as well, if you can sew or can have it done for you. As far as it being slippery, I don't know. I've never done any bending, so don't really know what to consider slippery.

Jason

Edited by Jason Paul