PDA wrist roller

Guest farm&fire

Guest farm&fire

I just got my order in from PDA. One of the things I got was their wrist roller. The quality of construction is great, but there is one thing that I don't like about the operation. Because of the way the strap is attached with the pin the strap effectively is being wrapped around an eccentric. The level of difficulty changes considerably during each revolution. I haven't taken any measurements yet, but it is probably close to a 2:1 ratio.

Does anyone else use one of these and have the same issue? I have a few ideas to make the action smoother, but before I modify the roller (or return it) I thought I'd ask for help on this board.

Cheers,

B.Raps

i had thought about this (i think there was also a previous post) i would say that you could just roll it from shorter distances- don't roll it up all the way from the floor to shoulder hight - just roll it either half way up or only half way down before repeating. i guess some people don't like that though, to each his own.

farm&fire,

Have you tried to position the eccentric just right

and do reverse wrist curls with it? I have thought

about trying to design a wrist roller that has a sort

of cam-shaped device.

I made a copy of the PDA wristroller, and I like the way the strap is attatched. The fact that once in each revolution it becomes more difficult makes for a better workout.

Guest O1d Dude

I've noticed this on my PDA wrist roller as well.

I've never gotten beyond the stage of thinking about solutions but haven't actually worked on implementing any of them.

Ideas:

1. Weld a small strip in place to make the diameter of the track larger, ie equal to the outside surface of the pin...but I don't weld.

2. Drill a few more holes and insert additional pins...but this would simply add more "lumps" to the motion.

3. Shape a wooden insert to fit inside the track...would be generally in the shape of a "C"...might be able to epoxy it in place or anchor it with screws drilled through the sides of the track...doable but seems like a lot of work now that I think about it.

Conclusion:

Ignore it.  Just crank and gut it out when you get to the "lump".

OD

Guest farm&fire

Thanks for the input.

OD, I like your option 3. I think it would be pretty easy. I just wish I would have known about this before I ordered. I would have ordered the larger diameter flanges so that the spacer wouldn't make the strap go outside the flange edges.

The other thing I was thinking is the pin could be set a lot lower in the flange (close to the outer diameter of the tube). There is quite a bit of daylight between the strap and the tube.

I might just keep this one as-is and make my own with a better strap attachment. I'm getting a good workout, but it feels weird when I am close to failure on my last rep and the torque on the roller changes so much during a revolution.

Cheers,

B.Raps