Tire Irons And Crowbars?

EricMilfeld

Don't laugh. I wonder if I could bend these by looping them through a chain bolted to a block on which I will stand, and performing a partial deadlift to attain possibly a thirty degree kink. I don't think this kind of steel would break, would it? I thought this feat would be a fun addition to my strongman show. I'm going to build the apparatus today and give it a go. You have to wonder what it would take to bend a standard size crowbar (3/4" x roughly 24").

In one of Brookfield's DVDs, he takes a 4 way tire iron and crushes two of the prongs together, then flips it around and crushes the other two together.

This was after he changed two tires on a small car while Steve Jeck and another guy picked up and held the car.

If I understood it right I know it's possible :D

When my dad was changing tires on the car this winter, the bolts were REALLY tight, so he asked me for help. But those bolts just wouldn't budge! It was as if they had frozen inte the metal (later we figured the rim had shrunk around the bolt due to the cold weather). I pulled and pulled but nothing happened, I took a new grip several times, nothing happened. Finally I decided to go for an all out effort, grabbed the 4 way tire iron with both my hands and puuuuuuuuulled. That darn thing bent! Certainly not "like butter" though :blink

BE CAREFUL ERIC SO IT DOESN'T SLIDE AND PINCH YOUR FINGER AND THE CHAIN WILL FLY AT YOU IF IT BREAKS I WORK CONSTRUCTION AND TAKE HEAVY EQUIPMENT APART WITH BIG TOOLS FOR 30 YEARS I'VE WORKED AT THE SAME COMPANY ANY WAY SINCE I WAS 20 I COULD BREAK BOLTS OFF OF ANY DUMP TRUCK IF I WANTED TO I WAS WORKING ON THE SIDE FOR THIS TRUCKING CO HELPING CHANGE TIRES AND THIS HEAD MECHANIC TOLD ME TO USE A 6 FOOT PIPE OVER THE END OF THIS BIG TIRE IRON I TOLD HIM IT WAS TIGHT ENOUGH HE SAID YOU CANT GET THEM TIGHT BY HAND I TOLD HIM I COULD BREAK THE LUGS OFF AND HE LAUGHED AND SAID DO IT AND HE WILL CHANGE THE STUD HIM SELF SO I BROKE IT OFF HIS EYES FELL OUT HE SAID HE WOULD BELIEVE ME FROM NOW ON . NOW THEY HAVE INCH AND A HALF STUDS I THINK THEY WOULD BE TOUGH BUT ONE INCH I CAN DO . :yikes cap locks left on ha ha :upsidedwn

Edited by DAN PRAYDIS

Eric,

When you do spike bending, how long is the longest piece you have bent????

And what is the longest piece you have bent DO style?

Devlin

Edited by Devlin

BIG DAN now we all know a secret of your success as a grip animal. You just said it all when you said you worked HEAVY EQUIPMENT APART WITH BIG TOOLS FOR 30 YEARS and CHANGE TIRES TRACTOR TRAILER TIRES. Now in the book Ironmind put out about COC Grippers with Joe Kinney doing most of the talking he said if you want to see a "Strong Man in action go watch a Tractor Trailer Tire Changer" He said now those guys are strong as if he wasn't compared to them. He goes on to say that these guys don't get a recovery period they do this day in and day out for a living whether they are sore or not.

So young man you built a strong foundation in strength a long time ago and just kept going. Some guys have all the luck getting to work thier ass off in fun stuff like changing big tires and taking apart heavy equipment. Ha Ha :D Your the Man Dan and I can't wait to see what your next video clip will hold.

Have a great President's Day weekend and have fun but be safe! No Bare Handed Bending of RED NAILS like Gavin Holle-Yeah not till I see the proof. :dry

BE CAREFUL ERIC SO IT DOESN'T SLIDE AND PINCH YOUR FINGER  AND THE CHAIN WILL FLY AT YOU IF IT BREAKS I WORK CONSTRUCTION AND TAKE HEAVY EQUIPMENT APART WITH BIG TOOLS  FOR 30 YEARS I'VE WORKED AT THE SAME COMPANY  ANY WAY SINCE I WAS 20  I COULD BREAK BOLTS OFF OF ANY DUMP TRUCK IF I WANTED TO I WAS WORKING ON THE SIDE FOR THIS TRUCKING CO HELPING CHANGE TIRES AND THIS HEAD MECHANIC TOLD ME TO USE A 6 FOOT PIPE OVER THE END OF THIS BIG TIRE IRON  I TOLD HIM IT WAS TIGHT ENOUGH HE SAID YOU CANT GET THEM TIGHT BY HAND I TOLD HIM I COULD BREAK THE LUGS OFF AND HE LAUGHED AND SAID DO IT AND HE WILL CHANGE THE STUD HIM SELF SO I BROKE IT OFF HIS EYES FELL OUT HE SAID HE WOULD BELIEVE ME FROM NOW ON . NOW THEY HAVE INCH AND A HALF STUDS I THINK THEY WOULD BE TOUGH BUT ONE INCH I CAN DO .      :yikes cap locks left on  ha ha  :upsidedwn

You know Eric I have been wondering the same thing about bending 4 way tire tools, so I guess John Brookfield has beat me to it. I actually picked up one the other day while in the Alaska Industrial Hardware store and had it pushed against my stomach while I grabbed to two other handles like a motorcycle handle bar. I was thinking if you could maybe place a small flat piece of wood on the torso to prevent you making yourself another belly button from the lug hole, could one just pull back on those handles with all ones might to bend them toward you.

making a peace symbol something like this -<-

Just a crazy idea but since your experimenting with different feats why not give it a try? :whacked

Don't laugh.  I wonder if I could bend these by looping them through a chain bolted to a block on which I will stand, and performing a partial deadlift to attain possibly a thirty degree kink.  I don't think this kind of steel would break, would it?  I thought this feat would be a fun addition to my strongman show.  I'm going to build the apparatus today and give it a go.  You have to wonder what it would take to bend a standard size crowbar (3/4" x roughly 24").

Clay, how did Brookfield brace to get the bend started?

Dan, I'm using chain rated at 1900 pounds working weight. I imagine it must take something like atleast triple that weight to break it. It's funny, but as I was sitting thinking about the mechanics of all this, it dawned on me that I could be in a world of hurt if the chan slid down the crowbar, so I'll probably place some leather or tape on the bar to create some friction. And I appreciate your words of wisdom, AND cool story!

Devlin, like Mike said, I've never bent anything longer than 12" "spike style". Using a DO grip, anything longer than 7" hurts my torn pec.

Well, I tried a crowbar today, and probably applied 900 pounds of force on that sucker, and nothing...

Eric, I have thought of this as well (bending a crowbar), only problem is I have seen a 250lb guy jump on a 6' cheater pipe slipped over a crowbar and it only warped it.... I don't think it will happen unbraced anytime soon :)

Tire Irons are bendable. We bent one trying to pry a flywheel off with it. 4 way ones often break at the centre weld.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I tried a crowbar today, and probably applied 900 pounds of force on that sucker, and nothing...

Eric have you tried the flat crowbars yet? Not sure if they come in as

long lengths as the more round crowbars.

Eric have you tried the flat crowbars yet? Not sure if they come in as

long lengths as the more round crowbars.

No, I haven't. I would think gripping them would pose some trouble. And yeh, I've never seen any longer than the standard sized ones.

• 3 weeks later...

You know you're a crazy strong SOB when you actually post this topic. And you are serious! :bow

I bent one changing a tire one time. It was funny I was going the wrong way with the bolt trying the take it off. Got mad and bent the iron. I laughed then went the other way and changed the tire. I have done dumb things like this all my life. My name is GUMP, Forest Gump! :blush

I bent one changing a tire one time. It was funny I was going the wrong way with the bolt trying the take it off. Got mad and bent the iron. I laughed then went the other way and changed the tire. I have done dumb things like this all my life. My name is GUMP, Forest Gump!  :blush

Righty Tighty - Lefty Loosey Big Steve, a humble man you are but truth be known most of us have torqued some lug nuts and various other items the wrong way and if you would have asked us at that second “Are you sure your turning that the right way” we would have responded- YES! and strained out another would be turn. Unfortunately I have stripped my fair share over the years, mostly when I was younger and knew it all. Some how the older I get the less I realize I truly know and amazingly parents, teachers and authority figures of my youth get smarter as I mature. Mama said there’d be days like this, Days like this Mama said! :laugh

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah I tried changing my wife's tire with a poor ass tire iron a while ago. I was pulling hard and it was turning but after a while I could tell that the nut wasn't moving just that the steel of the tire iron was kind of corkscrewing. The metal was fatiguing and it just kind of broke, that was the weirdest piece of steel that I ever broke.

I'm sure like anything, tire irons vary. I think that particular one was about dollar store quality.