Nail Bending Techniques

terryduty

I just added 3 animated GIFs to my Home Page of me using different bending techniques. (Just click on the "Bending Steel" link.)  If anyone is using a different bending technique, I'd love to hear about it!

Train smart!

nice  animations Strongman!

I been using a slightly different technique for a little while.

Maybe it uses more arm power. Don't really know, but it feels pretty comfortable ( if bending can ever feel comfortable! ).

I'm going to try to explain:

- I hold the nail vertically with my right hand which has the thumb on top. right arm extended.

- I then grasp the top of the nail with my left hand, thumb on bottom, and pull with left hand towards me.

the left hand action is exactly like if I was levering a weaver stick, and right hand action like I was levering it to rear.

Of course my arms or hands do not touch the body.

hope I've been clear.

train hard

david

Guest woody36

Strongman,

Nice to put a face to the personality,

Great new look to your page,hope you keep adding to it!

Best Regards

Ray.

Everyone, thank you for your kind words!:)

the swiss, I appreciate the new technique, I will give it a try and provide feedback.

Woody, my plans are to continue building my home page. I took a chance and posted a pic of myself, I guess if you're tough enough to handle that, then bending thick steel will be easy by comparison!:D  

Jim, please use something (pads, wraps, etc.) to protect your hands when you bend! I normally use Ironmind's excellent kevlar cloths (these come with Ironmind's Bag-of-Nails) but I was afraid that the cloths would make it harder to see the techniques that I was demonstrating.

Train smart!

Thanks, Strongman,

I use the kevlar cloths provided by ironmind, I was just asking because of the animations... It is very clear from the animations, and I think you are right, that the cloth would block the view...  I was just watching the animations and comparing to my technique and thinking, "man, he must have some tough hands!" and that maybe not using the cloths would help bending across the finger... I'll keep using the cloths  

Thanks for the reply,

Jim :crazy  

swiss,

i bend exactly like that as well (and i believe Vinking Power used to use that technique also)

strongman, awesome site!

i watched you bend that nail for hours on that computer camcorder thingy you set up... you never seemed to get tired...

Thanks for the compliments!

I'm experimenting with the bending technique that The Swiss (and AP & Viking Power) uses [vertical] - but my hands keep wanting to revert to the Slim-style [horizontal]. It's still awkward for me, but hopefully, it won't take too long to get the hang of it - after I do I'll add another animated GIF to my web site and you guys can let me know if I'm doing it right.

Train smart.

i bend the bolt using the spot between your thumb and index finger as the fulcrum. I can imagine that if you tried this but used the side of your thumb as the fulcrum, you might be more likely to revert to slim style. its also interesting to note that my arms are extended almost completely out. i sometimes change (mid bend) to the regular vertical style, but i don't seem to be any stronger with my hands closer to my body or for that matter if i try to brace the bolt with my leg- so with that i never even bother...