Awesome Bending Article - Reposted

smitty

The pics we not resized in this document. Some of the pics were distorted in the other doc causing some concern about the size of the wraps.

Please feel free to contact me directly for any questions or concerns. I don't bite and I am a pretty nice guy. I am honest about what I do and people have seen me do it. If you think I am doing something wrong just tell me.

Pat is right that if the wraps were 3/32" and 11" long that would be a very thick wrap. I should have measured the actual thickness of the wraps before writing they were 3/32". The actual thickness is a little less than 1/16". I like the total thickness of the rolled wrap to be about 1" or less. I have average hands at best and when the wrap is big I have trouble grabbing it. Does this mean I always use 1" wraps? No. I have used larger wraps due to soreness in my left hand. My best bends always come from thinner wraps where the bar actually hurts. I believe excessive wraps provide a pillow effect and reduce the force transmitted.

I also say to put the bar "at least" 2" into the wraps. I put this cause any less would not let you get your hands far enough on the bar. I recommend moving your hands in on the bar and you should adjust the amount of wraps on the bar accordingly. I am not the bending police, I did not try to write the "Rules" to bending, I tried to write something to help people learn how to bend. Bending is dangerous and you can hurt yourself. There is not enough material out there to teach people how to do it. I felt that I could "pay" back to the sport by writing something to provide some of what I learned. I had the benefit of learning from Dave Morton, Steve McGranahan and Eric Milfeld. My style is a hybrid of what I learned. Dave and I use identical wraps and bending style. I am just better than him :tongue

Thank you for your tremendous effort it is highly educational and greatly appreciated.