My fight with my #3

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Well guys, On tuesday ( 1/22 ) I will be giving my #3 a shot in front of my witness ( as pick by Randy Strosen ). I have closed it on two acasions now ,So I am going to give it a shot. I took some pictures, But have not got them back yet. Last monday was a pityfull atempt, so I took the rest of the week off . Hopfully after a week off I will be able to match my previous closings. I really had a hard time not doing any grip work all last week. I am needing it bad !

You was one of my picks for the 2002 COC (which I plan to enter too). You know that you're going to do it. With the adrenaline, you'll smash it like nothing.

Let us know how it went.

Good luck man!!  Tou is right, when you get someone watching, and it is for a purpose, it'll feel like a #2.  Tell us how it goes....

Guest CanadaCrush

I agree with Heath. With people watching you, the #3 feels like nothing. For a while in the begining, this was how I could close the #3 consistantly. While I was infront of people. You'll nail it, keep us updated.

-Mark

Harlan,

Get a good hard grip workout two to three days BEFORE the event - then rest up for the "close".

When I qualified, my #3 felt like a #2 - it was that easy.  You'll get pumped up as others watch you.  

You'll do it - I just know you will!  Good Luck, and tell us all about it later!  :)  :)

Harlan, these guys are right, when you do it for real you just seem to have a burst of adrenaline.  Don't ask us if your fight with the #3 will be over, you tell us it WILL be over tomorrow.  

On second thought, the fight will never be over because you're gonna want to dominate it at will. :D

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Thanks for the encouragement guys. Well, I have good news and bad news.The bad news is my witness never showed up. He did call and tell me he couldn't make it. So I went home a bit disapointed.Went to bed.(work nights) After I got up , I warmed up and with My wife and 2 kids watching I smashed the #3 closed. This is my 3rd time to get it. We then went for the camera, But I was to much of a wuss to be able to get it again. Sometimes I get it, and sometimes it may as well be a #4. Srange how that happens. But I can say IT WON'T BE LONG !!!!!!!!  I finished my workout today with 4 atempts on the #3, 20 lb strap holds for 25 seconds with my #2 , and 2 sets of super slow ( 30 seconds close and 30 seconds open) 1 rep both sets with my #2.   I am going to try and set up a time next week with my witness. THE #3 IS GOING DOWN !

Guest Youngguy

I would like to say, make it a win or die situation. Get mad at the gripper, and get pumped up. Best of all don't get down if you don't succeed, and just try harder again.

I can tell you now if you did it a couple of times on an occasion, then I know you be able to do it again. Make as many attempts as possible, and definitely make sure that you rest 5 minutes in between attempts, or as long as you need. That is if you got the time to do that.

The best of luck with your attempt, I hope you succeed.

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Well Nathen, I have been training grip hard for about a year and a half. But I am 43 years old and have been weight training for 28 years so you might say a looooooooong time.

Harlan,

Here's a suggestion that helped me. Make a "practice" run.  Pick someone at work, a relative, or someone who you don't know and do it at a "non-normal" location.  Put the pressure on yourself just like the real test.  

I did this a couple times before the real deal and it helped me being in a situation "outside" of normal because I knew that's what it would be like when certifying.  I knew after these dry runs that were part of my training sessions it was a done deal. :)

I think Bill's got an excellent suggestion.  I always seem to really smash it when someone you've never shown before asks for a demonstration.  You've got the right mindset, now complete  the job. :D

Guest Harlan Jacobs

Thanks , I think for thinking my strap hold was a liar's club post. But it's not. I do think I have an easy #2. I have had 3 people at my work close it and 2 of them don't even train at all. I have always been beter at high rep and long duration exercises anyway. Tou said somthing about my bench. In a bench contest( Reps ) I did 9 with 400, 23 with 300, and 52 with 200. But could only get 500 for a single. I guess it's the fast twich slow twich thing. I did another workout with my grippers yesterday. I took Bill's advice and had someone watch my out on the floor at work. I was a wuss and missed it 3 times. They said the worst one was about the width of a dime. The weird thing is I got a Lemley's Gripper from Sybersnott, and without any warm up, can smash it at any time. I am sure he will tell you it is a bit easier than a #3 but has wider  spaced handles. I will give it another try Thursday in front of my witness, ( Chad Coy ). Thaks for all the help and idea's.

That is awesome Harlan,go get it and good luck!

Salud!

JJ