This Sound Ok?

LAHotSauce

I started grip training in December 2004 and I am really enjoying it. I am trying to keep it simple and am I looking for a little feedback.

I jumped into bending too quickly I believe because after 4 days of bending I went to Home Depot and bought a box of Timber Ties. Supposedly rated at around 180lbs. I bent 4 of them and the next week my elbows and wrists severly hurt. So I have decided to lay off the bending and tearing until I can develop some decent wrist strength. I tried tearing a deck of cards yesterday---- NOT.

I read Dave Morton's article on developing wrist strength for bending. VERY GOOD. I also like David Horne's post on here. I will probably incorporate some of that into my workout. My equipment is limited.

I basically break it down into 3 days of training. Pinch work, crush work, wrist work.

On pinch days I do softball holds, baseball holds, plate pinches and hex head block weight work. I have a 40lb sawed in half and a 50lb sawed in half. Will be getting a 60lber soon to destroy.

On crush days I work with my Trainer, #1, TDS plate loaded grip machine, and do some plier holds. I do negatives, overcrushes, strapholds, etc. I plan on getting the #2 soon.

On wrist days I usually do some homemade lever bar work. I went to Home depot and bought a 1 7/16 piece of round stock pine and cut it off to 30 inches. Then I wrapped enougth duct tape around one end to secure a weight so that it will not slide down the wood any further. Then right next to it I wrapped enough so that an olympic plate fits securely on it and then you can place a clamp on it so you dont have to worry about it falling off. I have an 8 and 10 lb sledge but I will leave them alone for now.

I was just wondering how this sounded. I dont want to end up hurt b/c my wrists aren't near as strong as I would like them to be.

I dont have a training partner, just my radio. I live in Baton Rouge and there doesn't seem to be any interest in my neck of the woods.

Sounds a lot like my early training. Make sure to remember to throw in some hand and forearm health maintenance work.

-Jedd-

Sounds a lot like my early training.  Make sure to remember to throw in some hand and forearm health maintenance work.

-Jedd-

Any suggestions?

Thanks for the reply by the way. I really enjoy those video clips on y'alls Diesel website and the training tips. I found great humor in that little dance you did when your friend (Eli?) was doing his MM attempt in someone's home. Looked like something to help kill a little time.

RL

Since you are just starting out I would focus on just a couple things, it's too easy to get carried away and overtrain. Grippers and sledge levering, or thickbar and sledge, blockweights and wrist roller are just a couple of ideas. Keep it simple, train 2-3 days a week, remember recovery and extensor work. Contrast baths and ice are your friends.