Where Do You Get The Leather

pdoire

I have a few pieces I have played around with but I am using a towel..it is bulky and loose. Where do you get that leather I see in the videos..is it a special kind or brand??

Find some suede in the neighborhood of 5-6 ounce weight. It's supple, yet holds its shape well enough that you can pull out a nail and slide in another without having to rewrap. I get mine at Tandy Leathers locally.

Find some suede in the neighborhood of 5-6 ounce weight.  It's supple, yet holds its shape well enough that you can pull out a nail and slide in another without having to rewrap.  I get mine at Tandy Leathers locally.

Is the right size 4 x 10??

Thanks Eric

Find some suede in the neighborhood of 5-6 ounce weight.  It's supple, yet holds its shape well enough that you can pull out a nail and slide in another without having to rewrap.  I get mine at Tandy Leathers locally.

Is the right size 4 x 10??

Thanks Eric

Four to four and a half inches works well. But it's not so much about length as it is about total diameter of the wrapped bar. Shoot for one to one and a half inches in thickness. This may only take a ten inch length, but maybe even a twenty inch length, depending on the thickness of the leather.

Paul,

Try an arts and crafts or fabric store. I found some good suede wraps at a store here in Florida called the Rag Shop, and sold by Tandy Leather. Tandy Leather also has a website: http://tandyleather.com/

Edited by mmainlands

I have a few pieces I have played around with but I am using a towel..it is bulky and loose. Where do you get that leather I see in the videos..is it a special kind or brand??

pdoire,

Walmart and Michael's both carry the Tandy Leather.

Walmart - 8 1/4 by almost 10 3/4 suede is $5. It can be cut in half lengthwise.

At Walmart the suede is located in the fabric/sewing department.

Michael's carries the same as Walmart, plus a thinner, very supple

suede. Michaels price is slightly higher.

I had been using a dishrag ripped in half. The suede is much

better and easier on the hands. :D

The steel even looks better wrapped in suede, especially the

black suede. ;)

NOW KILL SOME STEEL! :rock

BEST OF LUCK TO YOU!

Do an andvanced search on ebay for leather being sold by ecksyfan

Lots of people on the gripboard have bought from him before. His leather is cheap, and you get a lot of it.