2005 Coc Grippers

ironorr

I am going to get some 2005 coc grippers to add to my collection and I was probably going to get another #2, #3, and #4. Are the spreads the same as the 2004 models? What about the #3's? Someone said that the 2005 #3 has a 2.75" spread. My 2004 #3 has a 3" spread. Anyone?

I am going to get some 2005 coc grippers to add to my collection and I was probably going to get another #2, #3, and #4.  Are the spreads the same as the 2004 models?  What about the #3's?  Someone said that the 2005 #3 has a 2.75" spread.  My 2004 #3 has a 3" spread.  Anyone?

My 2004 #3 has a hair over 2 3/4 spread.

Are grippers like cars. We get a new model each year?

Yes but the grippers have higher resale value!!! :D

Are grippers like cars. We get a new model each year?

Yes but the grippers have higher resale value!!! :D

Very true. If you find a rare one hang on to it and don't file it. It's worth more than retail that's for sure.

I have been looking for a #2 slightly easier than what I have. I just ordered another in hopes that I will luck out. It's like playing the lottery.

If Ironmind is just mass producing without extreme quality assurance methods then we lose the supposedly level playing field we have.

What if I had to cert on a hard 3 with a wide spread then another guy buys this years model or finds his sweet #3 with the more narrow grip and he certs. What about seasoning the gripper to the point it is requires a significant drop in force pounds to tough the handles together.

Now I see the hunt for the easy three or medium three starting to be a big factor in this certification. I mean you see all over the Grip Board and Grippermania.

So I guess if I train up to a certain level then start buying up grippers until I find one that is significantly easier I am in like Flynn.

This bothers me in the fact that the more I learn and use different grippers the more I realize the variations and claims of some grippers are starting to get a wider and wider margin for error and quality.

Just my opinion and I know it's like butts ever one has one.

So I guess if I train up to a certain level then start buying up grippers until I find one that is significantly easier I am in like Flynn.

No, this isn't what you do. You train hard and cert when you can close 90% of the threes you see. Looking for easy 3's and certing on them is like hoarding all the 40 lb york plates (ones that say 45) in your gym and saying you can squat 405.

What pride is it when you look around for an easy one? Why not heat up the spring? Why not cut and then engrave a 3 on a two? I guess if you are looking for gratification from others, then the paper certificate or your name on the web is the most important part.

Stop complaining (not your gatorgrip, just people who are always asking around for an easy 3) and train that extra week or month or however long it takes until you can really do it.

I don't think they change the grippers yearly, but I do think that there is a difference between the grippers of a few years ago and the ones they sale today.

I don't think they change the grippers yearly, but I do think that there is a difference between the grippers of a few years ago and the ones they  sale today.

Stop complaining (not your gatorgrip, just people who are always asking around for an easy 3) and train that extra week or month or however long it takes until you can really do it.

I am no whining I am just more concerned about these constant variations you hear about. Like you said close 90% of all the #3 grippers then go and certify if that important to you. I understand that totally.

I am just not sure if I have a #3 hard or medium. Anyway regardless this is the only one I have and probably will ever get so I am going to close this one.

My beef is with the companies not so much the Grip Masters themselves.

I just think they should be more precise and accurate in keeping an equal standard on their grippers. Not this years they are narrower, last year the springs were easier, 5 years ago the #3 took 312 pounds to close instead of the proclaimed 280.

That's all I am saying and I won't say any more lest I may be misinterpreted. :sleep

I bought the T-#3 in December and they all have about the same spread of 2.8". I just got a #4 a week ago and it is the same.

These are the only grippers I have ever tried so I didn't have any reference point to judge how hard or easy mine are. I sent Clay my #3 and #4 to get his expert opinion. He says the #3 is on par with the other new ones he has tried, and tougher than those in past years. He also says my #4 is a "certifiable brick". He had it in a choker and could barely move it.

Anyone interested in trading a very hard #4 for an average one?

If you are more concerned about how you compare on a "level playing field",

to other gripsters then the mash monster cert is the way to go, this is why it

was established. I think the COC cert is still a considerable achievement

regardless of the variations among grippers, otherwise we would already have

thousands of people certified if was that easy.

Mike