Which Side To File?

Number Ten Ox

Sorry if this is a common question.

Wondering which side of the gripper to shave down, dogleg side or finger side. Or both. Does it matter?

Thanks guys!

Not sure if there's a right or wrong way to file - my #2 is filed almost halfway on one side and around 1/6 of the way on the other and it seems to work just fine that way. I just file a bit more off every time I'm able to close it, so I'm aiming to get it filed halfway on each side in time!

VeGripper

If you do both sides down pretty far, when you close the gripper it can pinch the skin on your hand. I did this on my one filed gripper, and it's kind of annoying.

VEgripper is right on on file the gripper bit at a time.

Try filing one handle at a time at frist if too easy file the other handle .

But file the gripper only 1/16 of inch and once it easy file another 1/16.

This is micro loading the gripper it work a little at a time but with huge gain in the end.

I had an extremely filed #1 a few months ago. As I went to close it my fingers would actually get in the way at the close...so go slowly...a little at a time!

File the non-dogleg side. The dogleg side is where you will get pinched.

Clay I am sure your witty post with the helpful clue to file the left side was referring to the non-dogleg side :yikes

Unless you have tape on one handle of the gripper to use against the fingers - then there is no difference in the sides. They are the same regardless which way you turn them!?!

Good job picking up on that clue Greg! Since I mainly squeeze grippers right handed and the dogleg is in my palm, the non-dogleg side (the left side) is filed. You're a regular Robert Einstein! ;)

I really can't understand how you can put a file on your beloved gripper. Put the "non dog-leg" side in your hand instead, that will bring up the resistance.

Not knowing the answer to this question earlier on I now have 3 filed grippers that are all filed on the dog-legged side...but they seem to be fine.

You file the gripper because your hand will only get strongest over the range of motion which it is trained. When the hardest part of the gripper close is at the very end of the range of motion, you've got nothing left in the tank at that final point. If you are strong beyond the range of the gripper close, you've got the power to really smash it down.

Another way of looking at it - the heavier a gripper gets, the further it sinks into your hand as you close it. This forces the hand to close further on harder grippers. I think one of the reasons training with a filed gripper helps is it lets you train with resistance on that final range of motion that you will only experience on heavier grippers.

File the Dogleg and only that side but not too deep little at time.

Great guys. Thats really um, clears..things...up?

I kept going a little @ a time on both side until I found the sweet spot, thanks.

A little at a time is a good idea. All my filed grippers are filed way too much. They were cut by a grindsaw in a fashion that resembles filing. There comes a point where it isn't even productive to squeeze the handles closer because the movement doesn't resemble closing a gripper and if you're not making it to the end, you really have no idea where you are at.

If you have problems with filing your grippers, and they are not engraved, steel handled RB grippers, I suggest toning down the sensitivity on your give-a-damn meter. They'll get scuffed up on chokers and overcrushes. Build up grime from your nasty, chalked up hands. The springs will get a little rust in them. Cutting and filing your gripper is a good method to microload your way up the gripper chain and get the most out of it for your money. If you're going to let your preference for the condition of your grippers interfere with your progress, how can you expect your training priority to be high enough for the desired pace of progress? If you like neat grippers buy another set so you can have them looking normal in addition to having gnarly filed and cut ones. If the cost of that sounds like too much, then how come you aren't cheap enough to get the most out of your gripper by tweeking and modifying it? To each his own, but they are only grippers: a fun strength tool, that is completely replaceable.

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

Is a filed gripper still suitable for strapholds?

Oh yes the one sided filed gripper is good for Strap HOLDs.

But file one side only and little at a time=1/16. If file to deep it will hurt your progress. ANd use 6 steel washer=1/2 pound and 2 steel washer for 6 days a week. That will be 4 pounds a month and 16 pounds for 4 months or more.

THis is an advance level but the reward are great blast your way from #2 to BBSm and BBSm to #3.