Mastery Of Hand Strength

Sybersnott

I guess I went off on sammyg on that topic he started on John Brookfield's book, "Mastery Of Hand Strength".

Thinking back on that, I believe I overreacted.  My sincere apologies to sammyg.

The book is kinda like a "primer" for this forum, and as such, is required reading.  IF YOU DON'T HAVE THE BOOK, PLEASE GET IT AND READ IT!  Every now and then, we have someone (and it's always a newbie), ask about that book, and whether or not they should get it.  I get the same thing on my hotline.  After a while (and I have been here on this forum a long time now) it starts to get redundant.  Now you know why I went off like that.  Really, I should be wanting to help the new guys instead of berating them.  Sorry about that.

I was hoping that there would be a "Newbies - Please Read This First" that could instruct the new guys coming here about forum etiquette - things we have discussed many many times before, and DON'T need to go over again.  Lurking for a day or two and going back through old topics would help.

So help me God........ some newbie is going to start a topic, something like:

"Uh, hey dudes!  I'm new to this stuff and this is great!  I've been looking all over for a site like this, and I'm glad I found you.  You guys sure are knowledgeable.

Has anyone ever heard of Ironmind?  I hear they sell good stuff for the grip.  Also, has anyone heard about the grippers that they sell?  Are they any good, and should I get them?  I also heard about a book called Hand Strength by Tom Brookshire.  Is that any good, and should I get it?  I have a friend that has a squat bar, I think it's called um, the Elephant Bar also sold by some grip company, I don't know which one.  If anyone can help me, thanks."

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guest girevik

You are right. Since I've been following Pavel's programs for weightlifting, I have been on the DragonDoor.com forum, and they have a Frequently Asked Questions section, so beginners can usually find the answers they are looking for. It's tough being a beginner at anything.

Guest Boog495

Hey sybersnott.. your anguish is akin to a radio station whose format you do not like... just change the channel bud.. who says you have to listen to it , or in this format read it... it isn`t as though the newbie posts are using up limited space on the internet.... :p

Sybersnott,

Your idea has merit. Perhaps a 'definitions' section,

where strap holds and other common terms could

be housed for easy reference for those needing them.

Then if a question about what is a COC comes up, the

person could be asked to read the answer stored in

that section.

Perhaps this will be the case when Tom gets the IGC

site up?

Guest CrazyCarl95

It is not limited to this forum.  All the forums that I frequent will have someone new to the sport asking all sorts of questions.

How do I get a huuuuuuuuuuuge bench in three weeks before football starts?

How do I get huge, ripped out, stronger than everyone, and the ability to beat everyone's ass all at the same time?  Preferably in two weeks.

I bench 175 and squat 650 pounds.  Why is my bench lagging behind so much?  Also I heard squatting is bad for my knees, should I not do it?  I want to squat 1000lbs by the end of the summer.

Does creatine give you cancer?

What supplements should I take with my Mountain Dew in the morning?

How do I get huge like those professional bodybuilders?  I won't use steroids because they don't.

But I either direct them toward a good source of information that will answer their question or just not read the post.  It is something I am willing to put up with for this awesome free service.

I agree a section written directly for beginners would be good, but it still won't eliminate all posts.  There are still people too lazy to read a whole article or search for an anwer.

Guest kINGPIN

We have to remember that for some beginners it may be there first time in a forum.  When I first came here it was the first one i'd ever been to.  I did not have a clue how it worked or anything and just posted whatever questions that I was curious about.  But I do feel that a newbie section labelled 'READ THIS FIRST' with the common posts in them as Sybersnott suggested would be good.  That way there is no excuse.

It's kinda like someone who's never been to church before and listening to an awesome sermon from the pastor, then turning to you and saying, "Wow, this stuff is great - somebody ought to write a book about this!"   :blush

We do grip work.  There is a book that is our grip "bible".  It was written by John Brookfield.  It is called, "Mastery Of Hand Strength", sold by IronMind.

GET IT - READ IT - PERIOD, END OF STORY.

http://www.ironmind.com

P.S. - ANY questions about the book, you may ask them here.  That's what we're here for!     :p

Guest woody36

Syber,

Where can i get a copy of that book

by "Tom Brookshire"?

And that "Elephant Bar" does that come with

a trunk to carry it in?

Yours sincerely

Geekie McNewbie.

Tom's book is due out real soon.  It's called, "Gripping To The  Moldy Oldies".  Classical music set to grip training - a new and radical concept soon to be all the rage in the grip world!!  :)

I talked to Ironmind about the Elephant Bar.  Strossen is very excited and production will start immediately!  There is something else I should also mention.  He is wanting to do a "lifting tour" with the bar, and take some of us out into the African landscapes to search for elephants to lift!!  The tour will probably take place in August, so get ready!  Here's what will transpire:  we will track down wild elephants, and attempt to lift them.  You will need to find two elephants (one on each side) and your Elephant Bar .  Then lift!!  Pictures and stories of the tour will be featured in a future issue of MILO.  :hehe

Tour costs:  $7,325.00 per person not including hotel, meals and taxes.  You'll need to secure your reservation by sending me the entire amount by the end of this month.  I will accept  payments until ALL seats are full, so if you want to go - send it to me ASAP.   Contact me for details.   :p  :p  :p  :p

Have the elephants packed their trunks?

Remember Jack Walsh once deadlifted a small elephant,

total weight of platform and trainer and elephant was

3,280 pounds. Trenton, NJ March 10, 1950. There was

no Elephant Bar involved, because only humans were

allowed to drink.

Guest woody36

Syber,

A great deal of accuracy will be required to

make sure the Elephants are of equal weight,i suggest

taping a bathroom scale to the bottom of each foot.

Then by adding the totals of each scale,we will have an

accurate reading,this of course will be done midday giving the

Elephants ample time to take their morning Dump.! as any

release of bodily contents mid lift could result in us all being

upto our necks in S##t.

• 4 months later...

I just had a newbie e-mail me and ask me that oft FATAL question:

"Is there a book I can buy that will help me with my grip strength?".  :0

I had only four words for him:  Mastery Of Hand Strength.

For those of you who are new to this forum:  This is OUR Bible of grip strength.  GET IT - READ IT - PERIOD END OF STORY.

http://www.ironmind.com

Remember Jack Walsh once deadlifted a small elephant,

total weight of platform and trainer and elephant was

3,280 pounds. Trenton, NJ March 10, 1950.

This is gonna make me sound like a newbie...but is that true?  Sorry but that sounds like an awful lot, for anyone.  I apologize in advance for taking that literally if you were only kidding :crazy

im a newbie ( to this board,to specific grip work,  not to weight training) who feels kinda silly for not owning "mastery of hand strength". i hope no one rolled their eyes a couple weeks ago when i asked what a strap hold was.

i agree that a "read this first : section would be a good thing, newbies could have much more informed questions after reading it.

somewhere in cyberspace there's a 134 pound newbie trying to close a trainer, looking all pissed off  and talking like annikin skywalker...."someday ill be the most powerful gripmaster ever!!"

The Jack Walsh poundage was an actual claim.Backllifting claims have been in the 6,500 pound range,

but as is mentioned in Iron History (see signature below)

in this week's column, there is much doubt about the

accuracy of such claims.

Don't worry about being a newbie and wondering about

such claims- you reflect intelligence by so doing. There

are iron veterans who blindly accept such stories simply because they have been repeated through the years.

Guest reid73

My question Snott is Brookfeilds book the "Bible" of grip training ?I admit its a great book about grip training(I have read it a dozen times I bet)but should it be called the Grip Bible?It is by far the most available of all grip traing materials,but for my .02 the book "Developing Grip Strength" is just as good if not better.Even the grip chapters in Dino Training give good solid info that any "newbie"should read,and I would think before they attempted alot of the stuff in Brookfeilds book(Maybe "Mastery Of Handstrength" is the New testement).

James

What do we have here with Reid73 and Jeff Roark?

Independent thinkers. Wonderful!

Let's hope the text that the volunteers are composing

will become the standard, evolving, reference work.

Christian,

No.... now you are EDUCATED.  MOHS will enlighten you.  Questions will be answered.  Welcome to the club!!!  :)

Oh, and if you want Sybersnott to autograph that copy for you (even though I didn't write the book)... just send it my way!!  I'd be happy to.  (My copy is autographed by 3Crusher).