British Iron Grip Championships 2005

Andy

Have anyone entered yet?

Not oficially - but then the entry form has only been available for 24 hours! :D

There have been 6 or 8 guys expressing interest, but I don't expect any entry forms in until next month. I'm hoping for 10-12 competitors on the day.

• 1 month later...

Andy

Just checking out the rules for the rolling thunder. Could you clarify one thing please? You specify in the rules that:

'The lifter must fully straighten up; once standing straight, the lifter gets a down signal from the referee'

From the looks of the loading pin you are using in the pics, the handle will be at a fixed height and not adjustable. That means a taller individual (such as myself) will need t lift the weight a lot further than a smaller competitor? Would it better to have a minimum height (like the v bar and one hand lift) that must be cleared, followed by the down signal and a controlled lowering of the weight?

Jim

From the looks of the loading pin you are using in the pics, the handle will be at a fixed height and not adjustable. That means a taller individual (such as myself) will need t lift the weight a lot further than a smaller competitor? Would it better to have a minimum height (like the v bar and one hand lift) that must be cleared, followed by the down signal and a controlled lowering of the weight?

Jim, I just copied the rules verbatim from Ironmind's official RT rules, apart from the thumbless bit. I think it's a bit like deadlift, you have to lift the weight to the finishing position, regardless of the length of your levers.

Of course you can shorten the lift by using a wider stance (not too wide, we don't want you splitting your difference!). This lift is more about wrist and finger strength than overall body strength, so a wider stance shouldn't put anyone at risk of injury.

Overall, I don't think it'll make any real difference unless we get something like a 2-foot difference in height between competitors. I'd guess you're 6ft 4ins or so, so let's hope we don't get anyone 4"4'! Obviously you'd have a huge advantage over that 8"4' bloke...

hey! I was just looking to have a go at a grip comp seeing as the majority on this board are in the USA.

Great! Ive only ever done one of the events (grippers) but hey Im game!

I MSN'd David what I intend doing and what I've done this week - that seemed to alter the odds.

Replacing the one hand lift with thumbless RT would favour Mobster. Are both hands contested in grippers, v-bar and RT?

I MSN'd David what I intend doing and what I've done this week - that seemed to alter the odds.

Just hope those figures were based on fact rather than wishful thinking

From past competitions at least, Mobster is usually way off target in the pinch. Aiming for 100k usually means 80-85k. :upsidedwn

Maybe this time will be different (or maybe not).

New odds after Jim's session today in from the bookies.

Steve Gardener 4/5 Fav

Jim Wylie 7/4

Dean Bolt 5/1

hey! I was just looking to have a go at a grip comp seeing as the majority on this board are in the USA.

Geo, you'd be very welcome! Even if you've never done some of the events, you'll learn tons. With people like David Horne, Steve Gardener and Jim Wylie there, you've got access to more grip knowledge than any number of books... and it'll be fun too.