Farmer's Walk question

Guest DavidHW

Guest DavidHW

I don't have access to the kind of "suitcase" handled FW implements they use in Strongman contests, so I've been using two curl bars and just hanging on to the center of the bar. Right now, I'm able to do 200 in each hand for a fair distance. What I don't know is how I would do with handled bars like the ones PDA sells.

Do the handles make it easier or harder, i.e., would I be able to do more (or less) weight with handles? Do they help stabilize the bar?

TIA.

David

Depending on the size of the bar.... it's thickness - then yes, it would make a difference.

If you can, get the Farmer's Bars from PDA.  They are thick bars made especially for the farmer's walk.  Don't be surprised if you can't use the weight you are using now for that.

David, it seems that the bars such as the ones PDA sells would provide more of a crushing grip workout sans the handles, as the bars themselves are over 2" in diameter and the handles are 1" - 13/8" ! Using the bars alone would make it that much harder to add weight and hold on to it! Have to admit though, the handles do look good and would make it feel like kettlebells!

Guest Askalas

I got a pair of PDA farmers bars for christmas and I love them.  The wide diameter makes the bar really difficult to hold so I recommend some kurling on them if you buy a pair.  The workout I did with them was fantastic and my hands were absolutely fried afterword.  BTW 50lbs on the bar was pretty difficult and just to compair I can close the #2coc.  I think that you would probably have to go down in weight because of the thickness of the bar; however, due to your good initial strength it would most likely go up quickly once you got used to the bar size.

I do want to buy the suitcase handles eventually to do strongman type farmers walk as well as one handed deadlifts.  Right now though I like the thick bar challenge :D

Guest DavidHW

Thanks for all the responses.

I suppose I want to replicate the thickness involved in Strongman-style events, which I would guess is closer to 1" or 1 3/8" and not 2". No doubt the thicker bars would work my grip, but I'm really looking for max weight, overall body workouts where grip strength merely allows me to be able to move with the bars. I'm trying to work up to the FW "world-class" goal on Tom Black's site of 290 lbs in each hand for 20 feet. (If this number is with thick bars, I'm doomed! :-)

David

Guest 77-1005097254

David.

Glad to hear someone else training on the FW. I have started training on it myself and have my own homemade impliments.

I had 1"steel unknurled handles welded on. I'm like yourself and wanted to FW the same style as strongman comps. So far I have walked with 2 x 84kg for 65m, 2x120kg for 24.50m

2 x 140kg for 6.50m , and last week I did 2 x 150kg for 2m!(well its a start) which is three times bodyweight 98kg. My grip has felt strong so far with only body strength limiting my distances up till now.

Guest DavidHW

Michael:

Holy moley! 2 x 140kg for 6.50m? That's 2 x 308 lbs for 21 feet. I'd say you've met Tom Black's "world-class" standard! Congrats.

When you say you had 1"steel unknurled handles welded on, what did you have them welded to? Forgive me if I'm being dense. Did you attach them to a bar? Or one of those cylinders used in SM contests?

TIA.

David

i am having a blacksmith friend make me some farmers walk bars with removable handles.  I will get 1 3/8", 2" and 2.5" handles.  I can't wait to start training it.  Looks VERY promising for grip and total body strength.

Michael Falkov

Guest 77-1005097254

David.

I made my FW implements from a couple of old road drains that are approx 20" long by 14" high. I wrapped lead around them through the slats. My brother had handles welded on for me. Apparently because of the type iron they are made from they could not have handles welded directly on to them, but because they had slats the handles were made to fit through the spaces.Its hard to explain!!!  I have photos of them if your interested in seeing them. My email is MPDNO3@aol.com.

They weigh 84kg each without weight plates. Also they are not very pretty but they do the job.