Check It Out - Awesome Bending Article!`

smitty

NICE article guys. Everything you need to know by two of the best - thanks.

Nice article Dave and Greg.

I laughed when I read the reason why you bend. I always get asked why I do the things I do, and that is my favorite answer. Why? Because I can! :D

Good work guys.

tboo

Awesome article. I could have used it a month or two ago. Earlier today before reading this article I finally figured out what I was doing wrong with my DO, and leaped past my bending PRs. And here it is spelled out and pictured in the article, this would have saved me alot of trouble! Great article, thanks for sharing!

Every bender, regardless of experience, should read this article. Greg and Dave did a very thorough, precise, and accurate job with this very readable article. I was more than impressed, and added a link to the article in the pinned post for new benders. Two thumbs up!!

Great article!

I love to see that even double under is covered there.

Excellent pics for illustration.

Thanks for the article! Nice to see I'm doing something almost right, my DU technique is almost like what is described. I came up with the technique after being humbled by the IM yellow DO - :blush - and subsequently reading the rules of unbraced bending on the GB. I'll now need to learn the finer details to get the blue.

One quick question: The article instructs to drive my hands down to navel level in DU. According to the rules, the hands are not allowed to touch the body below chest level, so I should move my hands slightly away from my body as I lower them... right?

Rolle

Thanks for the article! Nice to see I'm doing something almost right, my DU technique is almost like what is described. I came up with the technique after being humbled by the IM yellow DO - :blush - and subsequently reading the rules of unbraced bending on the GB. I'll now need to learn the finer details to get the blue.

One quick question: The article instructs to drive my hands down to navel level in DU. According to the rules, the hands are not allowed to touch the body below chest level, so I should move my hands slightly away from my body as I lower them... right?

Rolle

Dave can talk to this better than I can, but I will give it a shot.

The reason for allowing your hands to touch your body is to help prevent hurting yourself. The reasons for not allowing your hands to hit your body is to prevent you from gaining leverage or "braced bending". Dave has told me time and time again let your hands graze your body when you are underhanding. This is NOT to gain leverage but to help guide you through the bend and allow you to use force with confidence. This could provide some support for your wrists to unnatural twisting or rotation. I believe this is firmly in the rules for all bending certs and would not get a bend disqualified. This is not bending into your stomach which would be against the rules.

Hope this helps, if anyone disagrees with my interpretation I think it would be a good open discussion to have.

There are no secrets held back, real secret to bending is working hard and mental toughness. I tried to explain that as best I could. Those of you who have bent with us know how we always tell a person who thinks they can't bend another bar to do 3-5 more. Truth is YOU CAN. Truth is most people stop with too much gas in the tank. Next time you think you are dying and can't do another bar, do 2 -3 more for me. In fact if you get 3 more after your convinced you are dead. PM me I love hearing that stuff and use it for my own motivation.

I am sick of the word "Overtraining" it is too often used. Worry about Undertraining...

Greg Amidon

Thanks, Greg! I'll try the technique in my next bending session. I also promise to do a couple of extra bends for you. :)

Rolle

BTW, I tried those ballistic levers today. The front versio I could do, but in the rear version the sledge was all over the place every time I got it back to the vertical position. :cry

I feel like I just got a college degree in bending, thank you for that great article!

Greg and Dave,

I congratulate you on a very well put together article. If I ever start bending again I'll definitely go straight to this article.

David

Great article. Covered everything. Nice pictures also.

I've read a little bit of the article and it's like a christmast present on bending...great job guys ;) After I nail the #3 I want to get into bending and your article is definitely the way to go for us future benders

Great article guys. My favorite part is the ballistic levering. Ive been doing some of this and it works great. Also as a side note for armwrestlers its a great thing to add in. Great article!

Outstanding article!!

Everything was well described and supported with excellent pictures.

Great job fellas!! :rock:rock:rock

-HH

Awesome! It's great that I can start pointing people to a definitive article on bending styles.

Just finished reading the article, excellent stuff guys!!! It really helped clearing up my understanding of the under the chin overhand bending, gonna have to practice to see if I can get the form down instead of my lowerchest/rib cage bending :laugh

Got to try that ballistic sledge work!!

Jon@han

As soon as, I get some time, I'll announce it on the website - and add it to the Articles section - but wanted to get it up here ASAP - because Dave and Greg worked so hard on the article.

Great job guys :rock