Instictive training

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

I used the SE and could come up with anything.  I know some use this method and just wanted to know peoples views on this style of training.  

At the moment my grip training is pretty irregular in terms of how many off days I have and how much volume a week although I always fit in at least 2 sessions.

NO!!! :angry: And I never will! I think one needs to know exactly what has to be done before training, sets reps, lifts, and anything else or else they'll just sit around or at least not train as hard as possible.

KP, I usually end up playing it by ear (read: instinctive training). Nathan, if you are so opposed to instinctive training, how do you compensate for a bad day? If your last set of squats or deadlifts feels unusually difficult, I suppose you let your form go all to pieces and grind out the remaining reps? Not me. That's a good way for me to get an injury and be out for a while. If it works for you, that's great.

Roger Steffens in his training log says that he doesn't follow an organized program for his grip work. The proof is in the pudding, check some of his results (reps on #3, PDA Inch DB lift of 172 lbs+, 45 lb plate curl, good Rolling Thunder poundages, etc). Scott Clayton also told me he recommends going by feel, look at his results (closed #3, PDA Inch DB lift of 172 lbs, HUGE weight in one hand pinch, etc). I don't think these guys just blow into it with no idea what they are going to do, but I do think they are smart enough to adapt. Also I don't think you can get to their level by knowing your body isn't recovered and working out to max that day despite the fact. I have tried devising the "perfect workout" on paper for myself, it never panned out the way I planned. My recovery wasn't what I had guessed it would be, and working out became no fun, more like a second job. I was on the clock twice a day and not just once. By about day 3 I was an accident waiting to happen. Now that I "go by feel" I look forward to my next workout, have fun while I workout, and enjoy my progress. My way works for me, I hope your way works for you. I don't believe in too many absolutes regarding workouts, what works for one doesn't always work for another. I would avoid getting dogmatic about something like this, because both ways have their good points, but for me (subjective test) only one works.

Best wishes to both of you in your grip work, and I hope you both meet all your goals using whatever methods you prefer.

I always have a plan, & if I feel average or better I usually stick to it. If I feel lousy, like I'm sick or not quite recovered from my last workout, I don't push it as hard, do the same lifts, maybe not the same volume or intensity, but do something. I feel that I won't train as hard if I don't have a set amount of reps/weight/sets to shoot for. Obviously instinctive has worked for the guys you mentioned, but not me.

I have to disagree with Nathan on this one. I have been using instinctive training for a few years now and it has worked for me ! As for sitting around and doing nothing ,this is where discipline comes in. Sure its easy to say you are using this principle as an excuse to slack off but if you have the years of discipline behind you to know how much and how often to push you won't do it! Speaking for myself sometimes you just have to ease off if you are still experiencing DOMS a day or two following a workout whether on a schedule or not. It has taken  many years of weight training but I have reached the point where I can tune in to my body and know when to hit it hard  or to cut back. this principle might not be as useful for competitors where you have to push the limits regardless!

I always plan to do squat or deadlift. One days it is squat, the other deadlift. All the rest is by feel. However, I'm not dumb to work bench only without blasting my shoulders.

In december, I did at least 8 consecutive workouts where I did nothing but deadlift lockouts and close grip bench press. I got back in the gym last monday and deadlifted 375 for 29 consecutive reps. My last PB was 400 x 20. I'm shooting for 425 x 20 tomorrow. The lockouts really help me to stand up fast in the deadlift. With a lot of full squat, I might reach triple bodyweight deadlift pretty soon.

Bottom line : if you don't feel for squatting or anything else, you might have good results by replacing it for your favorite exercise of the day.

Guest kINGPIN

I have to say that my lifting workouts are done to a set plan but my grip training has turned into instinctive as a matter of necessity.  I have to say that I do feel better for it and it does get you geared up for the next one.

Also, I keep a log (probably like everyone else) & I try to do better than the last time I trained if I'm not sore of course so my workouts kind of have to be set.

I try to combine methods.  I like to go by feel, and try to work whatever body part isn't sore.  But, it's important to keep track of your progress, and to have some ideas of the weights you want to attempt when you get to the gym.

I've found that when I don't keep some kind of log, or at least keep track of the weights I'm using my progress gets bogged down and I just end up using the same weights over and over.

I feel I should clarify my earlier post. As most of you, I also keep a daily log. This way I know whether to add weight or not on my workouts. And sometimes it is necessary to reduce the weight just a bit if I am not feeling too strong that day which I will do rather than sacrifice the whole workout. I too have a preset schedule of excercises to do on every workout but I go by feel as to reps, weight(never less than 25% body weight). I change the excercises around including grip every 3rd or 4th session. I workout on Tues and Fri (grip included)with a grip session on Sun. This gives me enough recuperation and keeps me motivated! If a certain excercise seems extrordinarily hard to perform on that day I will either skip it or replace it with another and then hit it hard on the next session. Hey!! Wake up everyone!!  :D