Rebar Comparison?

Guest woody36

Woody,

Hope somebody with knowledge on this replies to you.

I saw Chuck Sipes bend a piece of re-bar in the late

60s (at the contest where Zane beat Arnold for the

Mr. Universe). Sadly, it had little meaning to me at the

time; now I would get all the details possible.

Guest woody36

Joe,

Chuck Sipes is one of my all time faves,i felt

very sad when i read he'd passed away,fantastic foreams

and immense strength,i wish i could have been on the

side lines watching him perform.

Regards

Ray.

I think it is just a bit harder than hot rolled steel of the same dimension, although I've never done much of a comparison.  I have some 3/8" stock, but rarely have tried 3/8" hot rolled.  I think the steel they use in rebar is very cheap, but that they temper it a little for strength.  If you cut a piece it is grainy in the center, which I think is a sign of tempering.  I know a little about rebar, but I am definitely not an expert.

Guest woody36

Tom,

Thanks for the reply,i'd have asked you personally

but i don't recall you ever having said you'd used it,

i thought some of the other elusive steel benders may have.

Best Regards

Ray.

I bent some before I started writing the Black Log.  I think it was 3/8"x 2 feet, and it didn't seem very challenging at the time.  I think someone brought me 1/4"x 7" rebar that I bent and gave back to him so I can't check on the dimensions, this seemed easier than cold rolled, harder than hot rolled, these pieces were the basis for my comments above.  One thing I didn't like about rebar is that is was hard to cut, the hack saw didn't work as well as with the hot and cold rolled steel.

Interesting.  My comment about the center of the bar being tempered seems to fit scoring the outside and breaking it.  Tempered steel is strong, but brittle, and easily breaks.  I happened to find my 24"x3/8" rebar today while packing for my move and bent it easily over my leg (the only way I know to bend this length of steel).  It was hard to finish off, however, because the last part springs back.  I ended up with a perfect U-shape.