Size of 'penny' nails

Fuel Crusher

I see alot of references to various 'penny' nails from our american friends, can someone enlighten me on the various sizes of these in inches or metric. Off shopping tomorrow :D

FC, the most common one we refer to is the 60d (60 penny) nail. They are always 6" long and .25" thick. However, they differ greatly in force required to bend. I have 3 local hardware stores, and if I bought one from each it would be like easy, medium, and hard. I have bent 3 of the "easy ones" one right after the other in under 2 minutes, one of the "hard" ones would take me that to bend one. I am not a very good bender, but Terminator has some that I couldn't even kink (he is a good bender).

Hope that sheds a little light on the subject.

Thanks guys, I appreciate different batches and brands will differ in steel strength, I just wanted to get an idea of the dimensions of the nails that get mentioned. I'll know what to look for tomorrow now. :)

Follow up question, after looking at the sizes I was wondering if the nails get harder as the 'd' size goes up or is the difficulty level more complex. For example the 60d is only about 0.5mm thicker than the 50d but 1/2" longer, does this extra length compensate for the thickness or what?

Sorry if this sounds a bit dumb, but I've only bent one size so far so I've no comparison of my own.

Cheers

Fuel Crusher,

The extra length of the 60-penny does not compensate for the extra thickness.  Thus, given the same brand of steel the 60-penny nails would always be harder.  Someone last year could bend short 40-penny nails like nothing, but couldn't even dent a 60-penny.

baldy,

where are those hardware stores? i might have to drive all the way down there to buy some easy/medium 60 pennies....

all of the 60d's up here are stuck on "hard"

oh and p.s. Fuel Crusher- the penny distinctions are originally english :p

I got to Homebase this morning and picked up a couple of packets, limited choice realy. One pack of 4" by 3/16" roughly 20d (same as you sent me kINGPIN) and one pack of 6" by 1/4" almost 60d. They had no sizes inbetween ??? . Still I can start to have a play :D

Couldn't resist :D

I bent one of the smaller nails, without bracing against my leg, which I did on my previous two bends, chuffed  :D .

Then I new I shouldn't but I tackled the larger nail and got about 10 to 15 degree kink, very chuffed  :D  :D . Bloody hard on the wrists though :crazy . I neeeeed some sizes inbetween.

kINGPIN what have you done to me!! :0  ;)

nails.jpg

Guest kINGPIN

I am working on a big one aswell.  The place I got my nails from was a builders merchants and they did not have any reasonable inbetween sizes.  I got about the same kink as you but got a #### of a good workout from it.