David Horne (or others too!) - Plate Curl

Bill Piche

David,

How would someone build up and train for a goal of plate curling a 45lb plate?

Thanks!

Start with small ones and work up to big ones he he. Just kidding!

DH has a rod - I used the rolling thunder loading pin - Dave has something similar - and this can be inserted through the center of a decent sized plate - say a 10 kilo / 22 pounder. You can use a collar and add tiny discs / little gems.

It has to be said that the larger the diameter the harder it is. In the grip comp we could use either a 15 kilo / 33 lbs plate and rod and add weight or a 20 kilo / 44 pounder and as before. The lip of the plate (rim) is upper most and the thumb is curled over - if poss and the fingers spread wide.

Hope this helps. :)

Guest 77-1005097254

When i first started training for the plate curl last April i used

a 10kg plate ( 11.5" diameter ) with a rod through the centre

about 15" long. I would simply start curling the 10kg plate and

add 1kg at a time on the end of the rod.When i reached my limit weight i would reduce the weight a little at a time and do sets of reps. I had no suitable heavier plates with a larger diameter at the time so had no idea how i would perform at

David's Grip Comp.I am no expert on the plate curl but i feel the training i was doing at the time helped enormously such as

heavy pinch gripping , dumbell arm curls , and very heavy dumbell wrist curls as well as negatives with wrist held rigid.

I would think that just doing loads of plate curls would

be one

of the best ideas. They felt awkward at first for myself and put tremendous pressure on the back of my hand and straight

fingers but with practice the hand gets more used to the strain. I hope this is some help.

Michael, your plate curl performance was amazing to me anyway (I use that picture for motivation on my own plate curls), but to think that you pulled a 45 lb plate without ever doing so before in training is just unreal. I cannot imagine what you would accomplish if you had all the necessary training tools at you disposal. I take it for granted that everyone has a power rack, all necessary plates, etc (I read in your other post that you just got access to a power rack). Keep up the great work, you inspire the rest of us.

Steve G, I am nowhere near the plate curler that you or the others here are, but that spread finger grip is very awkward to me. I feel stronger with my fingers together. The picture of Nick M plate curling a 45 in the gripgallery shows his fingers together if I am not mistaken, and Michael D looks like his might be together (can't tell because of the angle). Have you experimented with both and found the spread finger method superior for you? Obviously it works for you, since you can curl some freaky weight that way.

Anybody else like one way over the other? I feel "clumsier" with fingers spread, like I cannot control the plate from twisting in my hand. I would think it would be the opposite, but it doesn't work that way for me.

Guest 77-1005097254

baldy.

Thanks very much for the compliment. I open my fingers a little when plate curling and curl my thumb up tight against the rim , which feels natural as I use a similar thumb position when pinch gripping. I then grip like #### and lift the plate keeping the whole arm as rigid as possible , then I curl with as much speed as possible.

Guest woody36

Mobsterone, I once saw a documentary where these

African tribes Woman had huge plates in their bottom lips,

is this the result of plate curls gone wrong?

Michael, I am glad you mentioned the "speed" part. I was wondering if I was making a mistake trying to curl quickly, but it sounds like that is standard procedure. My thumb also feels similar to a pinch grip position when I plate curl, and because I am such a weak pincher it starts to fatigue on me a little. I am working on that now, specializing on pinching.

Thanks for the advice. Next time I work plate curls I might play with small variations in my finger spread to see what happens.