Make My Own Thick Bar Out Of Pipe

jimcg

I am going to make my own 2 inch bar, and at first I planned to buy a solid bar, but then realized that a pipe would reduce the cost a bit (from 500 SEK to 220 SEK).

Now to my question - how thick does the walls of the pipe have to be, to be reliable as a bar? Is 2 mm enough and does increasing the thickness to 3 mm make a huge difference? I am not going to perform any frightening lifts on it but I would like to know that it can take at least 300 kg even though I doubt I will ever be able to lift that much.

Do any of you have an idea about this?

//Jim

Are you going to sleeve one bar on the outside of the other bar and then weld them together?

No, I was planning on using just a tube as a bar. I don't think that it would be impossible, since such a bar can be bought here (a little expensive from Sweden, though): http://www.palmettofitness.com/WSP_Strong_Man.htm

//Jim

So you will add some kind of stops for the weights? I have a 2" bar that I made by just putting some stops on there, so basically its just a piece of pipe. I know a guy who made one just with a piece of pipe and wrapped tape around the bar for stops. He uses normal collars on the outside. Don't know how it compares to your pipe thicknesses but mine is thin walled pipe and I have pulled in the mid 400s on it and have cleaned 275lbs and dropped it and no problems. I did make mine only 6' long instead of 7' long, I just don't need that much room for plates :) That might help with the bending, keeping the length down. I don't think it would be a problem.

You need at least 1/4" sidewall. Schedule 40 bends if you drop it.

You're right John, my tube bars are thick walled schedule 80 and my sleeved bars, one bar over the outside of another bar, I think I used 40 just cause they are doubled up that way.

Schedule 40 bends if you drop it.

I'm sorry, but I don't understand - what does "Schedule 40 bends" mean?

//Jim

The two main thicknesses of plumbing pipe are schedule 40 and schedule 80

Assuming you can no buy thick enough pipe, do you guys think there is any value in welding smaller diameter pipe(s) that just barely fits inside the outer one inside?

Assuming you can no buy thick enough pipe, do you guys think there is any value in welding smaller diameter pipe(s) that just barely fits inside the outer one inside?

Not if keeping the price down is a goal, unless you already have those pipes laying around at home. If one should buy several pieces of pipe, it would cost more than a solid bar, at least at my local iron products dealer.

From a "how strong would such a bar be" point of view, I don't know.

//Jim

From strength wise, I would say yes. Sleeving one on another would be stronger, but probably more $$$ than just the 1 thicker pipe. Thats how I make my thicker bars though, is a 2" bar with a piece of 2 1/2 or 3" slipped over and welded on the ends. Provides stops for the weights and everything. Schedule 40 is like maybe 3/16" thick and schedule 80 is like maybe 1/4" or so. Just thin vs thick.

From strength wise, I would say yes.  Sleeving one on another would be stronger, but probably more $$$ than just the 1 thicker pipe.  Thats how I make my thicker bars though, is a 2" bar with a piece of 2 1/2 or 3" slipped over and welded on the ends.  Provides stops for the weights and everything.  Schedule 40 is like maybe 3/16" thick and schedule 80 is like maybe 1/4" or so.  Just thin vs thick.

Okay, thanks for the info!

I'll pay my steel reseller a visit and see what they have.

//Jim

Try asking aruond in some industry area, I got a good aluminium 2" pipe with 3-4mm thickness for around 1 swedish crown/cm. I know I could have taken the prize down by 1/3, but I insisted on paying full prize (stupid me) :blush

I know I could have taken the prize down by 1/3, but I insisted on paying full prize (stupid me)  :blush

Good to know if we should make business some day. ;)

I am calling local resellers right now and comparing prices (and trying to do some work at the same time - but keeping the thoughts away from training related stuff at work is very difficult).

//Jim

Yesterday I decided I had thought over this long enough - so I went and bougt a solid 50 mm bar. It is 6,5' long and weighs 70 lbs and feels GREAT! :D

I am so pleased!

//Jim

Yesterday I decided I had thought over this long enough - so I went and bougt a solid 50 mm bar. It is 6,5' long and weighs 70 lbs and feels GREAT!  :D

I am so pleased!

//Jim

What did it cost and where did you buy it?

Great, I know how it feels :upsidedwn

What did it cost and where did you buy it?

Great, I know how it feels  :upsidedwn

I bought it at a local steel products reseller, Eskilstuna Handelsstål AB, and I payed 595 SEK (about 85 USD) for it. Since steel prices have gone up a lot last year, it cost 30-40 % more today, than if I had bought it last year, the guy told me. :dry Still, it's a lot cheaper than IronMind's axle.

//Jim