Bending: Small Change For A Colossal Reward

GatorGrip

How to choose your most productive bending technique that will be better suited for harnessing your strength for full impact on the object that you seek to bend.

You be the judge of whether there is anything to the theory of

individual body size, structure and composition related to the

best bending technique to use.

How to choose the most productive technique that will be better

suited for harnessing your strength for maximum impact on the

object that just needs bending !

Double Overhand Bending Method - Elbow crease at navel level.

Dead lifter Anatomy = Longer arms and higher upper back strength ratio

Double Underhand Bending Method -Elbow crease falls between an area above

the navel and lower to mid chest area.

Bench or Squatter Anatomy = Shorter arms and broader chest.

I had begun the art of bending two weeks ago with the traditional Double Overhand Bending Method. I felt Like I was not being able to use my strength level to it’s full potential. I contacted a man that knows how to bend some heavy metal our friend ERIC MILFELD and after some guidance and encouragement he directed me to our fellow board member Clay Edgin’s article on the DIESEL SITE regarding body structure and bending.

After reading the article I decided to give both bending techniques DO and DU my best efforts and the results are posted below.

My build is more compact with shorter arms and broader chest area which suggested I may be better suited to use the DU movement which I had not tried until now, but the truth was not yet known.

(The experiment was performed on the same night of 1/31/05 with little rest between bending attempts and my hands and elbows were still very sore from the week of DO bending attempts)

Yellow Nail - DO resulted in a bend of 29 degrees, with an all out effort!

Yellow Nail - DU resulted in a swift bend to a complete U with a 1" gap.

Blue Nail- DO resulted in a bend of 11 degrees, with an all out effort!

Blue Nail - DU resulted in a swift bend to a complete U with a 1¼" gap

www.gripboard ENLARGE IMAGE or SEE MY PUBLIC GALLERY

I think I have found my more productive bending style that gives me much better leverage in which to exert my force optimally.

I encourage you to do examine your build and try your own experiment with DO and DU, it could very well be like my night and day results. Not months of intensive training or secret methods of yesteryear just a switch in grips and the results don’t lie and stand as a testament to this valid theory that has become a pure fact to me.

Great thanks goes to Eric Milfeld for his encouragement and for directing me to Clay Edgin's well-researched and most relevant article.

Most of all I thank God the Father, My Savior Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit that dwells within me! AMEN :rock

How to choose your most productive bending technique that will be better suited for harnessing your strength for full impact on the object that you seek to bend.

You be the judge of whether there is anything to the theory of

individual body size, structure and composition related to the

best bending technique to use.

How to choose the most productive technique that will be better

suited for harnessing your strength for maximum impact on the

object that just needs bending !

Double Overhand Bending Method - Elbow crease at navel level.

Dead lifter Anatomy = Longer arms and higher upper back strength ratio

Double Underhand Bending Method -Elbow crease falls between an area above

the navel and lower to mid chest area.

Bench or Squatter Anatomy = Shorter arms and broader chest.

I had begun the art of bending two weeks ago with the traditional Double Overhand Bending Method. I felt Like I was not being able to use my strength level to it’s full potential. I contacted a man that knows how to bend some heavy metal our friend ERIC MILFELD and after some guidance and encouragement he directed me to our fellow board member Clay Edgin’s article on the DIESEL SITE regarding body structure and bending.

After reading the article I decided to give both bending techniques DO and DU my best efforts and the results are posted below.

My build is more compact with shorter arms and broader chest area which suggested I may be better suited to use the DU movement which I had not tried until now, but the truth was not yet known.

(The experiment was performed on the same night of 1/31/05 with little rest between bending attempts and my hands and elbows were still very sore from the week of DO bending attempts)

Yellow Nail - DO resulted in a bend of 29 degrees, with an all out effort!

Yellow Nail - DU resulted in a swift bend to a complete U with a 1" gap.

Blue Nail- DO resulted in a bend of 11 degrees, with an all out effort!

Blue Nail - DU resulted in a swift bend to a complete U with a 1¼" gap

www.gripboard  ENLARGE IMAGE or SEE MY PUBLIC GALLERY

I think I have found my more productive bending style that gives me much better leverage in which to exert my force optimally.

I encourage you to do examine your build and try your own experiment with DO and DU, it could very well be like my night and day results. Not months of intensive training or secret methods of yesteryear just a switch in grips and the results don’t lie and stand as a testament to this valid theory that has become a pure fact to me.

Great thanks goes to Eric Milfeld for his encouragement and for directing me to Clay Edgin's well-researched and most relevant article.

Most of all I thank God the Father, My Savior Jesus Christ and the power of the Holy Spirit that dwells within me! AMEN  :rock

I liked your thorough post. Very intuitive.

-Jedd-

Glad to hear it worked out good for you man. There may come a time where your strength in crushing a nail down is high enough that you can completely bend a nail DO, but stick with DU.

through trial and error I found DU best to kink and DO best to crush

I would agree, but when I do bend double overhand I go for the crush as is, "upsidedown". Better to keep it hot, but it is not my strongest style so the decision can be rather inconsiquential, but I am stronger at the crush DO style.

through trial and error I found DU best to kink and DO best to crush

I would agree, but when I do bend double overhand I go for the crush as is, "upsidedown". Better to keep it hot, but it is not my strongest style so the decision can be rather inconsiquential, but I am stronger at the crush DO style.

Thanks for the insight, I also do it in two quick movements first I kink and bend it to a wide V then without flipping it I just loosely lace my fingers and crush it down usually just one time gives me an inside gap of 1 to 1 1/4. I am with you, don't let that metal cool down. I want that metal searing the leather wraps. It is amazing how quick it happens, I mean one second you have a straight bar and in the next 10 seconds you have a U or V shaped nail.

As far as DU and DO goes, DU requires lots of wrist strength that I don't have yet. I am thinking about training with some sledge hammers to build up my wrist strength for that style. I wouldn't focus too much on DU until your DO is superior. Jumping around can impede your progress on everything.

:rock

I have a DL'ers physique. I do the initial kink DU, then change to DO for the sweep and crushdown. I can't even kink an IM yellow DO, but once I get it to ~45 degrees, I can finish it easier DO than DU. I'm confused. :whacked

Rolle

I have a DL'ers physique. I do the initial kink DU, then change to DO for the sweep and crushdown. I can't even kink an IM yellow DO, but once I get it to ~45 degrees, I can finish it easier DO than DU. I'm confused. :whacked

Rolle

I think this entire article is a generalization, but there are always anomalies. In other words most or many with DL'ers physique may find it easier to perform bends DO style and the Presser/squatter type physique lends itself to the DU style for most or many.

All of us are stronger in certain ways and thus we find we can gain better leverage on the object with less discomfort in a DO or DU position. Experiment some to find out.

As for the DU kink and the DO finish with sweep and crush down is how many do their bending. I do this on some heavier or longer bars but on some especially shorter and lighter I do both DU but have also did both DO.

I found that once I approached the 1/4 CRS 7, 6 and 5 inch lengths I was stronger using the DU. So that is where I am currently 5/16 HRS and 50d nails with DU. My goal is to become proficient in both DO and DU bending.

It sounds like you are successful at you current method so I would try an experiment a little but if it doesn't appear that you gain a significant amount of power with another way then I would just focus on the form and speed then move up to harder bends little by little. Keep us posted on you progress. :D