Formulator Vs. Kettlebells For Wrist Strength

Jasonbrightwell

Hey, I was just wondering how the Formulator compares with kettlebells in building wrist strength... anyone used both & noticed a major difference?

Jason

Welcome to the board Jason.

I don't think you've got a response because not many people have used the formulator (to my knowledge). John Wood's site is probably where you saw them and he can tell you more about it but if you happen to be in Columbus, OH on March 4, 5 or 6, you could try one for yourself at the Atomic Athletic's "Night of Strength III" John will be there as will many others from the board, both the GB and DD.

Dan,

Thanks for the reply & welcome. I sent John an email about it (figuring he'd be my best bet to get an answer). I know there are a lot of advantages to using KBs but I'm not sure if the extra investment in the Formulator is worth at.

Jason

Dan,

Thanks for the reply & welcome. I sent John an email about it (figuring he'd be my best bet to get an answer). I know there are a lot of advantages to using KBs but I'm not sure if the extra investment in the Formulator is worth at.

Jason

I have both and it is well worth getting the Formulator! My opinion is

with using KBs, the wrist acts as a static stabilizer. Having to keep the wrist

locked in the KB movements gives the wrist some strength gain.

The Formulator is designed to hit the wrist and forearms directly with very

strict isolation. It is quick to use and bombs your wrist and forearms

to their max!. Excellent tool..........

John Wood will most likely give you a better desription than I have

zcor:

Yeah, John gave me a great description:

"Hi Jason,

"I will go into a lot more detail about this in a newsletter later on but this should give you a good idea of whats going on.

"A kettlebell can be a very effective tool for a lot of things but in order for maximum development of a muscles group, you will need to work that muscle group directly, through a complete range of motion and in the manner that is's function dictates.

"As far as wrist development, theres no question that it does take strong wrists to use a kettlebell for swings, snatches, bottoms up presses and other types of presses, but a kettlebell addresses few requirements of maximum muscular development, at least when it comes to wrist strength. And extensor work with a kettlebell? I don't think its even possible.

"With the Formulator, you can work the flexors, and more importantly the extensors, brutally hard, through a full range of motion and without having the thumbs as the weak link. Combining Formulator training with kettlebell work will create the some of the strongest wrists around. I hope this answers your question."

Thank you for the advice/endorsement. I've been pretty skeptical about "wow, this is the greatest thing!" advertisements & products, but you'd think I'd have gotten over that (at least somewhat) since finding Pavel's material on Amazon (and since then being among "the greatest" training info & products). Once my Formulator arrives in the mail (I took John's advice & ordered it) I'll post my personal review. Definitely looking forward to it.

Jason