Vertical bar lift

I tried this lift (on a 2” bar) for the first time a couple of weeks ago in preparation for the Iron Grip endurance challenge.  I know that Tou has done some big lifts with this apparatus, but I was wondering what weight would be considered a good lift?  Is there an existing record for the 2“ vertical bar lift?

When I start to train a new lift I’m always interested in what weights have been achieved in the past, and what other grip enthusiasts have managed so I can set myself long term goals, and try and compare my performance to that of others.  If anybody has trained on this lift I’d be grateful if you could offer some training tips on what works and what doesn’t when training for this fine exercise.

Cheers

I'm solid on any support grip event but there are a lot of board members who are better than me. Needless to say that David Horne is the absolute master on vertical bar lift. Jim Wylie hoisted 286 on his first attempt on a 2" bar. Last I worked this lift, I managed 275. Whenever my deadlift lockout is strong, vertical bar goes well too. I would like to try the 1" vertical bar.

To perform the lift, take a wide stance (as a sumo deadlift) and grap the bar as high as possible. However, allow a few free inches on the bar because a non knurled bar might slip a little bit in your hand. Put the non-lifting hand on the knee of the same side. For a right hand lift, put the left hand on the left knee (the same thing as for a one hand deadlift).

I prefer to grasp the bar on the side rather than at the back. Experiment to find your best spot to grasp the bar. Once the bar is in the air, you'll have to resist the rotation of the bar. You need strong wrists to do so. If the bar turns too much, you'll lose it.

Feel free to ask for more. David and Jim are the guys to ask for (I can help too but I'm not as strong as they are).

David and Jim,  Have either of you guys pulled on the Rolling Thunder handle?  I'm interested how much you can do with that.  Thanks :)

I've done some training on the rolling thunder.  I lifted 102.5kg at the 2001 grip champs. My best is 105kg.

I had/have to use a thumbless grip on the Rolling Thunder due to my thumb ligament being snapped. This has caused my right handed thick bar lifts a problem. If I remember rightly I've lifted 2.5k more thumbless. Jan Bartl used to use this style, but now the rules have been changed by Ironmind, and you can only use a normal style for competitions.

David