Mastery of Hand Strength

sammyg

Hey,

I'm getting John Brookfield's book 'Mastery of Hand Strength' in a couple of weeks. I was wondering if anyone has it & if they could tell me what they think of it. If anyone can type up the contents for me that would be great.

Thanx.

Mastery of hand strength is the "essential" book for a grip trainer. First of all, he talks about some of the past and present grip masters. Then, crushing grip, pinch grip (with a lot of focus on thumb strength), block weights, manual labor, thick bars. He gives a lot of routine for beginners to advanced. Finally, John challenges you to perform a couple of feat of strength (which only him and a couple of other masters can do) and gives his opinion on the possibility of certain feats of grip strength (as squeezing a tennis ball until it burst).

At the last page, there's a sequence of grip feats that John performed in 25,6 seconds. There are 7 feats and most of us could not do one of them in a couple of minutes.

You HAVE to get this book. You will never train grip the same way after your reading.

That's all in my post. I won't type all the exercises he explains because it would be too much. There's over 50 exercises and feats explained in that book. Get it and read it. Then, read it again and again and again. I read it at least ten times and I got it in june 2001. Same thing for Dino training. I'm always reading it. As soon as I finish it, I read it again. Those books are the best you can have.

Sammyg,

I think you mentioned in one of your last posts that you live in Australia. If you live in Sydney, send me a mail at arthur_antonopoulos@hotmail.com and I can lend you the book or phototcopy the contents for you.

Arthur

Someone said somewhere that MoHS was required reading for this forum. I've also read & re-read that book over & over since I got it for xmas. :D

Guest Matt Brennecke

We all like to save money, but photocopying books is wrong. Just buy a copy, or borrow the actual book. The person who wrote the book makes money for every copy sold. To copy it is like stealing from them.

Matt, great post, you are totally correct.  Mr. Brookfield worked very hard on that book.  Let's not steal from him.

Relax fellas, sammyg has already ordered the book, he just wants a copy of the table of contents not the whole book.

Here you go:

Chapter 1: Champions of Yesterday & Today

Chapter 2: Grip Strength-What is it?

Chapter 3: Building Your Crushing Grip

Chapter 4: Building Your Pinch Grip

Chapter 5: Training With Block Weights

Chapter 6: Training With Thick-Handled Dumbells

Chapter 7: More Training for the Lower Arms and Fingers

Chapter 8: Manual Labour & Thick-Handled Tools

Chapter 9: Goals & Training Programs

Chapter 10: The Vise Grip for Bending

Chapter 11: Testing Your Endurance: Can You Muster This?

Chapter 12: Are These for Real? You be the Judge

Appendix 1: How to Make Your Own Thick-Handled Dumbells

Appendix 2: How to Make Your Own Kettlebells

WannaGrip,

If you are reading this post..... PLEASE do something about this!!!  AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!