Plier lifting

Rick Walker

When I first started this exercise, I read it on another forum and I didnt really understand how to do it.  So, I grabed the bucket handle wih the pliers and did some holds with my arm extended at my side and my thumbs down.

Then I got Brookfield's book and saw an illustration and realized it was suppose be done with the arm in front of the body and thumbs up-like you are curling.

Heres my problem-I can hold 50+ more pounds the first way and if I hold it the way Brookfield does-my arm gets tired before my grip.

So should I do it both ways, my way, or Brookfields way?  I am really not into another arm exercise and would like to concentrate soley on grip in these sessions.

Thanks-

Rick Walker :hehe

Rick, I think that most people here prefer strapholds to plier lifting for the reasons that you stated. You use a lot less weight for the same if not greater benefit, since your hand is in a natural position on the gripper instead of an un-natural position on a pair of pliers. Brookfield is big into compound movements that tax large muscles and your grip at the same time. Strapholds are a whole lot more crushing-grip specific, and I think that he came up with them after MOHS was published. Maybe as an enhancement to plier lifting.

Unless your goal is to mash the daylights out of a pair of pliers, that is. Then I would carry on with the pliers. Keep in mind that I have not closed a #3 gripper (and am not actively pursuing it), so maybe someone else should answer your question.

Tim-

I wondered where the strap holds came from-I heard everyone on here talking about them but havent seen them anywhere else.  Anyway-I like the plier lift-but it does have its obvious flaws.  I think i will do it both ways for a month, and then switch to the strap holds.

My only problem with the strap holds is I train the COCs on Tuesday and the Plier on Thursday.  2 COC Days in a row may fry me-though if I only use the number one and a 3 pound plate, I may be okay.  It is also a mental thing.  If I only touch the COC once a week, i feel a lot stronger when I get around to them the next week.  THat sounds weird but...

At any rate-i will remain on my current program for a month or 2 before I switch things up.  I used a 1 1/4 lb plate today and pinched it on the edges with only my finger tips.  I then loaded it with a chain running through it secured with a pin through the hole and chained a 25 to it.  MAN!  It was hard-held it for 20 seconds or so each hand twice.  Tried 50-no go.  Finger tips are hard!

Thanks-

Rick Walker :hehe

Rick, the hub style pinching you mentioned is very hard. I made my own hub pincher out of a PVC endcap and it is really tough. The only people that I know of for certain that have hub pinched anywhere near 50 lbs on this board are Wade Gillingham (see last year's IronMind catalog) and Richard Sorin (there is a picture of him hub pinching a York 45 on his website). There are others on here who could do it (David Horne and Scott Clayton to name 2), I just haven't seen pictures.

You are doing the right thing experimenting. John Brookfield comes up with some crazy exercises, but he is so strong (all over, not just hands) I would try anything he says at least once. Many on here didn't like it when he posted a "grip tip" and it was a bricklifting exercise (rows). I bought 20 bricks and have worked up to 12, it is very challenging. On lighter weights, you don't feel it in your hands but as you go heavier your hands / wrists / biceps start taking a beating along with your chest / shoulders / back.  In the book "Of Stones and Strength" by Steve Jeck and Peter Martin, Brookfield is pictured lifting one row of 18 bricks to about face height off a plank! Try that sometime.

Anyway, stay open minded Rick. You already seem to have a great strength base. Be sure to work your bread and butter grip / wrist stuff first, then experiment if you have energy left. Also set goals for yourself. Keep an eye on people's workout logs like Scott Clayton, Woody, and Roger Steffens in the workout logs section of this board, and Tom Black's log in the "Black Log" off the main page. If you are into crushing pay close attention to what Heath (Bearcat 74) writes. You will get some great ideas from people who are at the top of their game, and are willing to share with the rest of us.