Strange Bends

deaner

This is kinda hard to describe but alot of my bends are ending up non-symetrical, one side straight the other curved. Not U shaped, not V shaped, but one side of each. I must be doing something wrong, I seem to snap my timber ties when I do this too. I snapped a grade 8 today. I feel like I'm not able to put my full strength into the bend, has anyone else had this problem? Or even know what the hell I'm talking about? :help

I have bends like this too sometimes. I wonder if

its because the bolt has heated up then cooled down

and hardened. Then when you hit it again your bending past

the hardened area on the bolt. I don't know, just a thought?

Snapping a grade 8 - nice. Are you saying that it snapped without weathering it back and forth, just on the first bend?

Snapping a grade 8 - nice.  Are you saying that it snapped without weathering it back and forth, just on the first bend?

Yes first bend, it got real hard after 90 degrees almost stopped then snapped at about 1.5". Thought maybe it's because I'm doing something wrong. Looks cool though.

I posted a pic of the bends and the snapped g8 in my gallery look under bends and stuff , its the only thing I've got in there.

Edited by deaner

Sounds like you are doing something right, not wrong. Keep this up and you will be a red nail bender AND breaker. Great work and don't try to understand it, just keep doing it! :bow

Can't find anything in your gallery, seems to be empty.

Edited by mmainlands

bends

Heres the link to the picture  (I hope)

Nope that didnt work. Its under my gallery under public user gallery, says bends and stuff.

I do know what you're talking about, Deaner. I've had several bars end up with both a straight and a curved leg. I'd also have to guess it has atleast something to do with the steel heating and cooling, combined with a repositioning of the hands. I like it. It's another interesting nuance of bending.

What style are you using?

The pic of the bends is nice!

I find it amazing that a G8 broke on the initial bend. Has this happened to you before with a G8? I've bend a few of 'em and they all bent pretty much the same. Which is what I'd expect from graded steel.

-HH

Everything looks good. Nice break on that g8. Just keep it up, I wouldn't worry about anything. Just don't stab yourself in the throat after the nail breaks ;)

What style are you using?

The pic of the bends is nice!

I find it amazing that a G8 broke on the initial bend.  Has this happened to you before with a G8?  I've bend a few of 'em and they all bent pretty much the same.  Which is what I'd expect from graded steel.

-HH

That was the first break of a grade 8 for me, they seem kinda springy so I'm thinking it was a dud, it stopped dead at about 90 degrees, which is where I am very strong, and I just tried to explode into it. I start the bend reverse then switch to DO, I'm really focusing on the initial bend with the reverse right now, because I know if I can get a good initial kink on a red, I'll be able to switch over and kill it.

Edited by deaner

You're doin' good deaner keep it up.

Reverse style is a very strong style to bend with. Keep that G8, it looks cool broken.

-HH

Don't be modest, grade 8s are always very springy, just admit that you are a freak of nature and deal with it. :D