Timed Holds

foggymountainmuscle

Alright guys, I'm now ready to start increasing my grip stamina. I'm interested in part because I feel it is hampering my grip strength. Grip strength not being to useful if it is only short lived. The best example I can give is in my pinch training, I am inching ever closer to 2 35s (I've picked up a 25 and a 35 with 4 fingers) yet I cannot hold onto 2 25s for more than a few seconds and can only make about 4 passes behind my back with them, and this is on a a good day! I want to apply this to my supporting grip, thickbar, and crush as well. Now I'm not interested in using light weights, I'm interested in working with the 70-80% range, something I can take from only holding 5 seconds and working up to 20. Now the most obvious advice is to just say pick up the weight and hold on until it falls out of your hand, but I have found if one just holds for as long as possible, the next set, or attempt, is so pathetic that it is not helping to accomplish the training goal. Say I can hold onto 2 25s for 17 seconds at the most (which is true), should I do 2 sets of 14 seconds, 3 sets of 12 seconds, 4 sets of 10 seconds, ect. I often to static training with other parts of my body, all of this though is with the intention of using more and more weight, never really to hold on longer, so I'm treading new ground here. Granted different things work for different people and a lot of trial and error should be expected on my part, but I would like to know about some methods that have worked for you guys.

Say I can hold onto 2 25s for 17 seconds at the most (which is true), should I do 2 sets of 14 seconds, 3 sets of 12 seconds, 4 sets of 10 seconds, ect.  I often to static training with other parts of my body, all of this though is with the intention of using more and more weight, never really to hold on longer, so I'm treading new ground here.

What you're doing is a lot of timed holds REGARDLESS of the weight used or the time it is held.

Why not do two-handed timed holds and alternate negatives with each hand?

This is what I'm talking about: do a two-handed pinch... THEN let go with one hand and hold it with the other. Just as soon as it seems like your grip is going to go, regrab it with the free hand (as an assisted positive) then switch hands and do it with the other hand. Keep going for as many reps as you can.

Ooo ooo..a thread about one of the most fun things, to me, in my new sport, plate pinching !

Listen to Sybersnott, he knows what he is talking about and his method of assisted negs is awesome and similar to what I use with weight that is my max or a couple % above. My LH is definately not equal to my RH pinch so I simply let the plates fall a couple inches to a padded chair when I can no longer hold them.

Foggy, trying duct taping a 1.25# plate to each plate to get just above your max plate pinch and then doing negs. If this is to much, just use 1.25# on one side. You want to be able to hold it a couple/few seconds before losing it, IMHO.

Sybersnott, my next plate workout will try your method of back and forth !!

thx for your advice and what ever else will be posted here by you pinchers

.. neilkaz ..

Thanks for the advice so far guys, but remember I'm not just interested in plate pinching, or just pinch. I want increase stamina in crush, support, and all different pinch widths.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, but remember I'm not just interested in plate pinching, or just pinch.  I want increase stamina in crush, support, and all different pinch widths.

Do all kinds of stamina things then. Not just a specific workout of specifically timed holds, but do holds until failure. This doesn't have to be every work out, but once in a while it is good to mix things up, especially if you feel you are stuck at a level or stale.

.. neilkaz ..

Edited by neilkaz

Foggy, if you have chinning bar, do one hand hangs with each hand GTG style every time you are near the bar. You can do this on any open door as well just about anywhere. Vary the time from a few seconds up to failure occasionally. If you do this every day, your support stamina will definitely increase.

You can also try farmers walks regular and holding the ends of hand towels passed around the bar as well. Of course all kinds of manual labor will work too. I developed alot of grip endurance as a teenager by having to do alot of shovelling and wheelbarrowing of dirt, gravel and sand over rough terrain.

Well, I would say that static work needs to be considered as failure training.

Multiple sets with less intensity might work, but personally, I like to set PBs everytime I train, and timing to failure is a great way to do that, and it is effective aswell. But, in the end, you only need ONE absolute failure set.

So, the way I do it is warmup, then hit my max weight... and hold it for just a couple of seconds. Say if I did 8 seconds last time, I do maybe 2-3 seconds. After that, my nervous system is primed. (I might do this for another set, if I still don't feel strong).

Then I go for an all out set, and hold for as long as I can. If I time my workouts correctly I ALWAYS hit PBs with this type of training. I usually go for 5-20 seconds aswell, and up the weight when I'm close to holding for 20 seconds.

If I only can hold the higher weight for 2-3 seconds or less, I strip weight, and go for an all out set. That should be a PB to my previous time on that weight aswell.

This does work for all isometric work, and crush aswell, but is easiest to measure when you can close a gripper. You then just time for how long you can keep it shut.

Ok, but now to your question. This SHOULD work for increasing endurance aswell. Just hold it for as long as you can, on your full out set. I don't know if multiple sets work better, but even if your following sets are pathetic.. keep at it! That will change.

I would say that you should do regular strength work first, and then endurance work.

I believe failure work is good for that too, and it is easier to measure.

GTG or multiple sets with less intensity might work, I really don't know, but it seems it would be hard to measure. I'm a logbook freak and I wan't to write down PBs EVERY time I work out.

Edited by nagual

I learned this from Clay is to put athletic tape on the plates to make it eaiser to grip therefore allowing you to use more weight and get use to heavier weights for the pinch.I would'nt do timed holds for a certain time just do it as long as your able.Each set will probably be a little less time but you don't need but a few sets to really work your hands.I was able to work up to over a minute with a pair of 25's this way.

Thanks for the advice so far guys, but remember I'm not just interested in plate pinching, or just pinch.  I want increase stamina in crush, support, and all different pinch widths.

You asked us about our methods of plate pinching and that's what we gave you.

To improve your crush, WORK YOUR CRUSH.

To improve your support strength, WORK ON USING THICKBARS/THICK HANDLES/RT.

Q: Are you doing any wrist work?

You're looking to build an all-around grip base.... nothing wrong with that! :happy