Kta & Powerlifting

hothead

I don't know if this has been discussed on the forum or not so I apologize if this is a repeat. I was wondering if it's possible to do the KTA program and get good results while at the same time doing heavy powerlifting training and competing at the same time? I was told that on the KTA program that one is not supposed to do deadlifts. Since I am actively competing I can't stop doing deadlifts. I am about to begin the program and I just want to be realistic as to what I can expect. I have been increasing my grip training significantly over the past few weeks compared to what I have been doing over the past two years. Since then I have been having a lot of numbness and tingling in my hands and I am only doing grip work four days a week. I know on the KTA it calls for six days of training the grip. So far, my grip has not suffered on any of my powerlifting training so I haven't gotten too concerned about the overtraining aspect. I'm just wondering if heavy powerlifting training and doing grip work with that amount of intensity/volume will be too much and I can expect more numbness and tingling or worse yet, decreased grip strength? Thanks for any feedback!

I was told that on the KTA program that one is not supposed to do deadlifts. 

Who told you this? This is not true at all. It's no other direct grip work besides what is in the program. Normal strength training does not count.

Why is that Wanna? I mean a competing powerlifter often deadlifts close to his grip limit? How could the hands know that it isn't "direct grip work"?

As to decreased grip strength. Is there anyone that has done the KTA that has not experienced that temporarily? That is not major problem unless you deadlift very close to what you can handle gripwise.

All in all, people doing the KTA has to know themselves somewhat, just like any other hard training method.

maybe im just strange or something, but i cant do deads an KTA......im used to doing 250lb farmers, rack pulls with 500-600, but a 300lb stiff leg dead on KTA made my forearms incredibly sore the next day, so much so that i had to stop doing stiff leg deads while on KTA

I had no problem deadlifting. Then again, grip has never been an issue for me when deadlifting and frankly I could never understand guys missing deads with the bar slipping out of their hands.

Hothead,

I'll let you know how it goes for me.I'm currently getting ready for a power meet in a couple of months and am in the middle of the KTA program.

So far things have gone well for me.No problems while still doing deadlifts.