Ironmind Rule

gamidon

So in reading the challenge about the 100 bars I noticed something that I had not considered before:

They state that the nail must be bent into a "U". I always assumed it was less than 2" but the rules seem vague to me. Anyone ever ask for clarification? When I certified I thought the rule was 2" so I put it well under so there would be no doubt. I was never given more explicit info, and neither was my witness.

Greg Amidon

Was asking me the same several times.

According to my information the nails have to be sent to IM by the witness?

Guess, you just have to bring the ends as close together as you can during the minute.

If I ever be able to cert. on the Red I'll ask Randy before!

I figured I could either speculate or email Randy, so I chose to email Randy and ask this question. Will let you know what he says.

I tried to pin him down as to the specifics regarding the one minute rule, but he responded by telling me that he didn't want to put the whole certification process of such a rugged feat of strength under and electron microscope. I can certainly appreciate that, actually.

From Randy:

"We never felt it vital to specify a precise measurement for that since we think that once the nail is in a U-shape, somebody isn’t going to miss the bend – finishing off the nail in that final position is the easiest part of the whole bend, and it’s what takes place before the final crush that’s most telling. As it turns out, I’d say that based on the nails we have seen, most guys who bend Reds bring them down to under two inches (outside to outside). On the other hand, even if a quantitative index of a completed bend isn’t vital for things like certification on the Red Nail, if you get into a speed-bending contest, then such a measurement can be important because the time that goes into the final tweak can become a significant performance factor under those conditions, and the traditional solution that John Brookfield uses in this type of situation is to require that each bent nail gets dropped into a jar (the diameter of the mouth of the jar becomes the gauge measuring the degree of the bend).."

Thanks Clay I guess that answers it. Wait a minute... Actually no it doesn't. I guess it is what it is. Put them under two and don't worry about it is my advise.

I think it means not to worry about measuring it; good enough is good enough! haha

I think the crushdown on a long bar like the IM red is the easiest part since you can use the length to your advantage. I think that most people who can kink an IM to 90 can crush it. So stating that it needs to be bent into "a U shape" is enough.

With the smaller bars, such as the 5-6 inch FBBC stock, that isn't necissarily the case. The crushdown can be very difficult, and for those bars the 2 inch rule needs to be used.

I think the crushdown on a long bar like the IM red is the easiest part since you can use the length to your advantage.  I think that most people who can kink an IM to 90 can crush it.  So stating that it needs to be bent into "a U shape" is enough. 

With the smaller bars, such as the 5-6 inch FBBC stock, that isn't necissarily the case.  The crushdown can be very difficult, and for those bars the 2 inch rule needs to be used.

haha