Louie Simmons and grip strength

Guest Jeff Roark

Guest Jeff Roark

If any here are familiar with his training methods will understand much better of what I am asking and thinking.

In my talks with Heath about a grip machine he made a few comments that made me think. I mentioned the machine in MoHS and he said it could put undo strain on the wrist from unnatural postioning. I for one don't need any more injuries. I now wonder this, does a plate loaded grip machine have to exactly mimic a COC, SoS gripper to be effective? I thought about how Simmons structures his training for powerlifters. He has them do many different exercises, angles and weights to hit all the weak points. He also uses the specific movement for speed and an occasional maximal attempt. Could this same system be applied to grip training in general? Have several types of grip machines for maximal efforts and work on the grippers for speed only? Just thinking anyone else have any thoughts on this good or bad?

Jeff, I am a firm believer in Louie's training methods (and use them), even though my aspirations at this time do not include competitive powerlifting.  It keeps you from getting stale, and "completes the package".  It does not allow any muscle imbalances or weak points.  I use this mentality in my grip workouts as well.  Creativity is the key, but never forget the core movements.

It really depends on what you mean by effective.  If you mean effective for closing a gripper, then yes, a plate loader which mimics the grippers will be better.

If you mean effective for getting a strong grip, than no, it would be better if it DIDN'T exactly mimic a gripper.  You get a better overall crushing grip from a plate loader generally.  That is because the whole range of motion has approxamately the same strength.The for the grippers, we mainly train the closing ROM.  

So if you want to be a CoC, or have a portable device to impress people with, then grippers are effective.  I hate that I feel compelled to close the #3 this year.  In a way only.  I would rather work my sweep equally as hard, and get a better quality crushing grip.  But it would also be nice to be the 3rd 18 yr old CoC, and the lightest.  I feel that if I don't do it, I may regret missing the opportunity.  Its kind of shallow to want to be certified at all, but I guess its human nature to a degree.

Oh well, what ever.

Michael Falkov

Quick Grip,

Don't feel ashamed for you wanting to be a COC.  That was my ultimate goal, and I achieved it!!  It isn't easy (at least for me it wasn't), and when I finally did it - I felt like I had joined a unique "faternity of strength".  :)

I believe you MUST use some sort of grip machine if you want to be a COC.  Yes, there are exceptions (Tim Steinspring comes to mind) who use nothing but the grippers; I feel this method is the least productive way to make gains.  I cannot train everyday; I envy the ones who can AND are able to make the gains in grip strength.  And what will work for one person will NOT work for another.

Sybersnott, you can be sure I'll close the #3 with CoC workouts only. I never touched a grip machine (as a student, I can't afford it). I think that heavy overall grip work + focus on the grippers is what is going to make it for me. Sure a grip machine would help (especially for negatives) but I am convinced that I can do the job without it.