Bending Show

EricMilfeld

I think I might give a little bending show for some of the homeschooled kids in my area. In addition to the bending I'll probably do an additional eye - catching feat or two, such as a two finger deadlift. I'd do a phonebook if I was better at it, but my only two tears to date were not exactly pretty and took way too much time. Anyways, for the bending portion of my demonstration I've got the following in mind: break a 6" adjustable wrench, bend a 5 1/2" crescent wrench into an "S" shape, bend two medium - tough 60D nails taped together, bend a 5/16x6" bolt (a little tougher than a Red), and brace - bend a 3/8x10" spike.

Any other ideas? Thanks.

Bending a Horseshoe?

Ripping a deck of cards?

Breaking a 60D?

Eric,

Resist the urge to order the magician's magic bending nail for this show! :D

I agree that the addition of a horseshoe bend would be good.

Mike

Edited by mmainlands

Rolling a frying pan?

a 3-4 foot peice of 1/2 in steel, bent between your teeth is a crowd pleaser and is very simple to use. just use a cloth between teeth and bar, scroll it after inital bend into a tight ball... John O brien usually breaks a grade 2 1/4 bolt at our shows and folks get a big kick out of it, you can give a kid (older) a coat hanger piece and race them.tape the ends for safety.....Have you ever tried Hot water bottles, find some cheap ones at the dollar store or Walmart and give them a go, they are really not that hard to do,once you get them blown up pretty big I would suggest resting on a table for support, this also holds it to your face. Take a lot of 60ds, ot other easy benders cause the kids will love souvineers, and if 1 kid gets 1 then they all want one...Get a piece of paper and write out what you are going to do and say...Script it...Trust me it will help things run way smoother and keep you on track, especially if you are giving a motivational or religious talk during show.....You being a Christian I would urge you to use this as a ministry instead of just entertainment, which you may be and probably are doing anyway.....Good luck.....Brett

Edited by kerbjr

I agree with the 1/2 x 4ft. bar in the teeth. Everybody likes it when I do it.I ask them would you believe me if I told you I could bend this bar in my teeth & then twist it around.& then talk about faith in Jesus while not being able to see him."5 1/2" crescent wrench"what brand do you use?

Thankx,Tommy

I appreciate all the input guys!

I like the horseshoe idea, but need to find some the "right" strength first. ;)

Brett, unfortunately, our area homeschool association is strictly secular. They have rules against endorsing "religious" activities. Not that I resemble anything like an effective public speaker (in fact it's one of my fears), but perhaps I can sneak in a few props for the Lord, anyways.

Guys, do you simply wrap a small towel around the center of the 1/2" bar for the "mouth bend" feat? Any tips?

I'm also thinking about buying a 10 pound sledge and levering it down to my nose for the show, to add an element of danger. Kids like danger. I guess adults do, too.

Another idea of mine is to lift with my teeth some object in the neighborhood of 100 pounds as I perform a pullup. I think it might be catchy. I got to get my neck strength up to par, though.

Tommy, surely you've heard of the Tuff Tools brand. :laugh They're really high quality wrenches, made in India and sold at the dollar store. The problem with this little trick is the fact that these dang things break as often as they bend. I might need to shop around a bit.

Eric,

Check this out: http://www.cheektowagatimes.com/News/2002/...t_Page/011.html

I'm sure the kids would get a kick out of being lifted themselves, maybe you could rig up something for them to sit on with a rope attached, etc.... Makes them part of the act. Plus they should be way under your 100lbs you had in mind (maybe? what ages are they?). I understand there is a liability issue, but I'm sure just lifting them a few inches off the ground and with the right equipment, padding, etc.....should be ok.

Edited by mmainlands

I remember that photo. Thanks, Mike. Yeh, I wanted to get the kids involved somehow. But I am a bit leary of lifting them a pullup range distance by my teeth. This would require some very trusting parents. But having a kid sit in a chair as I lift him with my teeth as I perform a pullup sounds way cool. Maybe one my youngins will volunteer.

Or maybe just using the form shown and lifting them just an inch or two off the ground. I'm sure they would be excited just to be lifted slightly and feel themselves leave the ground. They may also like trying to break your grip by lining up on each side and pulling something attached to each of your arms while you have your hands clasped together.

I remember that photo.  Thanks, Mike.  Yeh, I wanted to get the kids involved somehow.  But I am a bit leary of lifting them a pullup range distance by my teeth.  This would require some very trusting parents.  But having a kid sit in a chair as I lift him with my teeth as I perform a pullup sounds way cool.  Maybe one my youngins will volunteer.

When are you planning this?

And does anybody know where you can buy a "bit" like that for doing teeth lifts?

Edited by MikeP

Mike G, good ideas! But I'd hate to open myself up to not being able to lift the one big, fat kid that shows up!

Mike P, good question about the bit. I was planning on making one out of thick leather, that I simply fold over the rope or chain. If it's okay with the association, I'll most likely be doing it in March. You wanna make it a two man show? You could do some of your crazy overhead lifting (maybe a kid or two) and some big bar scrolling. :)

Mike G, good ideas! But I'd hate to open myself up to not being able to lift the one big, fat kid that shows up!

haha

I just saw that photo of Don lifting that kid with his teeth. That must have been a very scary sight for the child looking up at him!

I'm going to use a people-lifting stunt for a show I'm doing next month that should look impressive, but I ain't sayin what it is until the pictures are developed in case it doesn't work!

I use a bath towel folded in half on the middle of the bar.Then if I bend the bar on my leg I use the towel folded up more "4" comfort.

Great to hear this Eric. Frying pan through a watch goes over well. Ask them what are they doing passing through time. Are they help and strengthing others or doing wrong. The bar in the teeth is a must. You will find out that the easiest feats are the one people like best. Horse shoe is funny for all ages. Have two kids try to pull on it to show everyone its real. I have 250 pound men pull and try to twist ain't done it yet. Cards alway gets a good clap. You can have any kid try with these. Might get a little oily from him being nervous, but you will get it well. I love chains in a show jack 10 is good enough, have two kids play tug a war. Then pull it apart.

Do well and make us proud. Thanks for encouraging the little ones. You will be blessed.

Thanks Tommy and Steve!

I really like the idea of doing something with a chain. Pulling one apart by hand will definitely be impressive. Has anyone tried the stunt of busting one by expanding your chest?

I like big steves idea of having the kids/audience try the feat before you do (chain, horseshoes etc..). Gets the audience more involved and more in tune with how legitimate the feats really are.

Stunt?

haha, wasn't it you Mike who spent some time working on chain busting with chest expansion? I think you were there at AOBS when Dennis Rogers was talking about learning it and all the pain he had to go through too.

Of course I mean stunt as in incredible feat of legitimate, genuine strength.

By the way Mr. Mike P, there will be some chain to test your manhood awaiting your next arrival at my garage. Boy that could really be misconstrued in certain circles.

Eric,

I remembered a pic I've seen on a web-site of our local IM-distributor.

Strongman bending

Check the third pic from top.

The nail which was used has the dimensions of a Yellow nail, though its easier than a Yellow.

Perhaps you can try this.

This would be a cool give-away for the kids.

And according to Arno, its much much harder than simply U-ing the nail.

Just another idea.

Come one Eric if this guy can do it, so can you.

All you need is a Roman legion leather mini skirt and the chain wont stand a chance.

That's a good idea, Franky. Though I haven't come across any nails of those dimensions in my travels (1/4"x7"). And I'd want to use an actual nail, and not just a piece of round stock.

Matt, I can't get the link to work. But it sounds as if it may be time for me to get my Roman legion leather mini skirt out of the closet and blow the dust off it. :happy

Oooh, Eric. Sounds like a date :)

I would have to skip the miniskirt and just bring my kilt :)

Have you ever done any hammerhand? I don't think you have but that is an idea, also, I keep talking about bending bars across my nose....