Cliche Newbie Questions...

llswayj

Hello.

My goal is to improve manual dexterity and grip strength. Like many folks, I'm not interested in size, but rather strength, endurance, and density. I started my training a few days ago. I have a generic unmarked gripper which was found in my closet. Basically, I do multiple sets of clinches with variable motions (i.e. plains reps, rapid reps, slow reps with long clinches, etc). I also clinch then rotate my wrists in various directions. I'll probably purchase a GripBoard endorsed beginner set of grippers soon.

Anyway, my questions.

1) It seems to me that the tissue in the hands and forearms repair faster than larger body parts. Does this mean I might be able to train everyday? The soreness is usually short-lived.

2) I've noticed there are 3 ways to train a muscle:

a. Rapid reps

b. Slow reps

c. Explosive reps

What are the results for each method?

3) What should I be cautious about/avoid when training my hands/wrists?

Thanks!

If you want dexterity then I would break it down into two categories:

Soft or Rehab Dexterity

Hard or Feat Dexterity

The first would involve things like Chinese iron balls and rotating them in your hands. OR, things like twirling pens and flipping coins across your knuckles.

For the Hard Dexterity I would suggest things like tossing dumbbells from one hand to another, tossing and flipping kettlebells, plates, dumbbells.

The Hard Dexterity exercises, which I or someone with more knowledge around here will elaborate on if you wish, are going to give you some great upper body and hand strength as well as dexterity. But, for straight strength which can be combined with dexterity exercises, I'd suggest getting some block weights before anything else. These should be the crucial element, or, if you wish, the backbone of your grip strength building. They will offer you so much that, aside from bending, they are unparalled in their effects on the lower arms.

1) Yes. That is the short answer. It obviously depends on what works best for you. Many have trained hard everyday, even several times a day (me included) and had great results. Other have had great results with only 2 times a week.

2) Rapid and slow reps give about the same effect in my experience, more a matter of preference. Explosive reps, however, teaches the nervous system to fire muscle fibres more effectively.

There are more ways though: Isometrics and negatives.

These might be the most effective way to train a muscle.

3) As with other strength training, keep all the muscles involved (in this case - lower arm) strong. Wrists, extensors etc. That will keep your strength balanced, make your progress faster, and help you avoid injury.

Edited by nagual