Specificity

Guest Bane

Who beleives in specificity? Does it apply to grip? If you wanted to gain holding strength to aid in holding onto a regular bar doing dead lifts, would it be better to do regular bar holds or thick bar? Does each carry it's own benifits? What are they? What does the thick bar stress/work that the regular bar doesn't. Is using them both in the same w/o redundant?

Hi Bane,

It's my belief that specificity definitely applies to grip. You have to determine what your goals in lifting and grip are. If, as you state, you want to increase your holding strength for the regular deadlift, do either timed holds or high rep shrugs (25-30 reps) with the regular bar.

Thick bar holds are good for increasing your open hand strength and also thumb strength. They are a good tool for helping to increase your strength in pinching and your sweep hold for the grippers. These areas are not worked by the regular bar. Loads of thick bar work will leave you tremendously strong in your sweep but very weak on your close with the grippers.

As for using both in the same workout, determine your goals first. If your goal is to get a stronger hold in the regular deadlift stick to the regular bar. If you would rather increase your pinch and open hand strength go for the thick bar. Personally I'd say stick to the one that concentrates on your goal.

Arthur

Guest StrongerthanArne

Arthur,

This is not my experience. I worked hard for three months improving my two arm deadlift (overhand grip not thumb lock)with on OL bar by doing just that, two arm deadlifts with an OL bar. I got nowhere. I then replaced that lift with the Rolling Thunder for three months. I then tested my max in the two arm deadlift with the OL bar, overhand grip (no thumb lock). It had gone up by 10 per cent. ;)

Strongerthan,

I don't think some thick bar work would affect your overall support strength on a normal bar in a negative way, but I think very heavy supports or even partials with a regular bar would be more beneficial for regular deadlifts than thick bar work.

What I do feel is that specific thick bar work, I mean constant thick bar work for most of your lifts really takes away from your closing strength for the grippers but increases your opening hand strength, making the sweep much easier as well as strengthening the thumb for pinching.

Arthur