The Gripboard

Bill Piche

Looks like 14 out of 18 Certified on the Red Nail list are GripBoard members.

The members of this board DOMINATE bending, period. :bow

Congrats to all the members here who continually strive to set the bar higher!

:rock

Amen to that. The standards of world class bending are growing every week with no end in sight.

I'm with Clay, everytime I think I am catching up to the pack leaders they do something insane...I thought that it would be close to a year before a 5in FBBC went down...Thats what I get for thinking....When I started bending seriously a little over a year ago, a blue was considered a good bend, a grade 5 was a very good bend, grade 8 was insane and a RED was legendary........WOW.....Improved training routines with clear progression from 1 level to the next, people sharing personal tips, better wrapping material, improved technique, and the good folks on the grip board pushing each other...Where will it End, what is the limit??????????/Looks like it will be quite sometime before we find out..........Keep up the good work fellas..............Brett

Looks like 14 out of 18 Certified on the Red Nail list are GripBoard members.

:rock

Amazing!

?!?!? 77.7777% of the worlds certified Red Nail benders are off this board?

Unbelievably high percentage. :bow

IS there anyone 'out there',in serious contention (for becoming certified on the RED) that isn't board member? Just wondering.

Also, keep in mind that not everyone who can bend a Red nail is certified. When I conducted that survey of red benders to find a common body type for each bending style, I found that there were something like 25 red nail benders, and that number has grown almost to 30! So the percentage is a lot higher.

I said earlier tonight that "world class" would be redefined every week, and tonight it was redefined again with Gamidon hitting FIFTY reds in one workout with a lot of gas in the tank. A handful of benders are making noises about getting access to 5/16" x 7" Grade 8 bolts. A year ago someone would have been laughed off the board for saying they think that bend was possible and now these guys are looking at the bolts and thinking "Maybe..." And that's just what *I* know. You got monsters like Pat who are quiet for a while until someone pops up and asks him if he can bend a certain bar, at which time he comes out and bends that bar with an inch cut off.

Here's a quote of mine from my own Red Nail certification thread back in April of 2004. Boy did this turn out to be an an understatement! :rock:bow

By the way, I predict we'll be seeing several others of the Gripboard nailing the Red in the very near future! We're all pushing eachother to dig deep and do our very best. This is what it's all about!

...tonight it was redefined again with Gamidon hitting FIFTY reds in one workout with a lot of gas in the tank...

Somebody please help me pick my jaw up off the floor.

I thought he was going to take off 2 weeks to let his injured shoulder and hand heal up.

What could he do if he did properly rest up?

:ohmy

Yup, a Red nail, especially given previous Ironmind cert rules, doesn't really seem world class anymore.

At the grip comp in Michigan, there were a few people knocking on the door. Next year I think it will take a bit over a red to win.

The amazing Bendathon never ends. :rock

2 Reds at once are better than 1. :whacked

Who will be the next Joe Greenstein or Mike Dayton?

Greenstein--bent 1/2" by 9" square stock

Dayton--bent coins and a partial bend(kink) in a standard

weight bar over top of leg

I know one thing, it feels great to be from a small town in Nova Scotia, chatting with all the greats I read about in Milo, A big thanks to the grip board.

I know why so many of the gripboard people are getting the red, getting the #3, etc.... Instead of figuring something out and keeping it to ourselves, we share the knowledge with others. I have learned a ton about how to bend and almost everyday I am responding to questions or working on-line with someone and how to improve their form or technique. I have yet to see someone not get something bigger or easier with just a few quick tips after seeing them bend.

I owe my thanks to Dave Morton, Steve McGranahan and Eric Milfeld. Each of them taught me so much about bending. I repay this kindness by helping others.

50 reds. Very nice my friend. Very, very strong. Thanks for the kind prop. Get some rest on that shoulder Bro.

well...is it possible that most of iron minds business come's from the gripboard?

I didn't know about ironmind until jedd told me to join the gripboard on the drsquat forum.

look at the #3 list....most guys are here....

What's the percent of bastards that belong to the gripboard? :erm John might be the only one who knows for sure, new people seem to get added all the time here!

As far as I know - 100%. And as far as that goes, look at what the guys here have done relating FBBC stock to Reds. Most everyone seems to agree FBBC stock is harder than a Red Nail. Then look at how many have taken a harder stock shorter & shorter. Three guys at the 5" mark. As to what most say, this would equal a 4.5" red. Completely insane! I honestly never imagined I'd see a 5" FBBC bend, much less the 5/16 Square or 3/8" round. I know there are guys looking at these bends as possible. I am amazed that when a 7" x 5/16" FBBC cert comes in, most of the guys say they're just getting started. I think all the FBBC certs have come in 1 year. What will it be in another year? What's been done is beyond what I'd imagined.

What's the percent of bastards that belong to the gripboard?  :erm  John might be the only one who knows for sure, new people seem to get added all the time here!

You know what's interesting is that in this past year we were talking about who was going to get a 5" red. Now we have a 5" FBBC bend! I was under the impression that Strossen was interested in seeing a 5" red, as well as the rest of the grip world and WHOOPS! just stepped over it on the path of progress.

Pat, were you working with 5" reds quite a bit before trying the 5" FBBC, or where you just working on longer lengths of FBBC stock?

Oh, and John, what about your square 5/16" stock? Think you may have certifications on it that allow bracing? I know this whole topic is about how far bending has surpassed it's own expectations but the jump from round to square in 5/16" is GIGANTIC! I mean even at my level of bending, I can smoke cut yellows but I've been stopped dead by HRS 1/4" square!

The thing is - how much of a step is it to go from a 5" x 5/16 FBBC round to a 7" FBBC square? Eric put up the calibrations, I should take a look. I'll have to come up with a name for the cert for it, now.

Just looked up the calibration list Eric did. The 5.5" x 5/16" round was calibrated at 695 lbs. Just the 5.5"! No amount on the 5". Probably as it seemed crazy to think someone would bend it. The 5/16" x 7" square was calibrated at 705lbs. So, I'd say we need a challenge set up. $100 in cash & prizes through FBBC for Pat, Greg or Dave. It's been up on the cert page at FBBC for a year. You guys can pick the date. I'll mail you all 5 pieces each. Anyone interested?

Just looked up the calibration list Eric did. The 5.5" x 5/16" round was calibrated at 695 lbs. Just the 5.5"! No amount on the 5". Probably as it seemed crazy to think someone would bend it. The 5/16" x 7" square was calibrated at 705lbs. So, I'd say we need a challenge set up. $100 in cash & prizes through FBBC for Pat, Greg or Dave. It's been up on the cert page at FBBC for a year. You guys can pick the date. I'll mail you all 5 pieces each. Anyone interested?

Though on paper these two stocks are separated by only ten pounds, in terms of difficulty the difference is much greater. I warned about the inaccurate results that are obtained by comparing stocks of different lengths. Compare the 5/16" round at 7" to the 5/16" square at 7" to get a more accurate idea of the strength difference.

Also, the 1/2" strength difference between the Red and the Bastard would be about right if you consider an uncut Bastard is about equal to a 6 1/2" Red, but when you consider much shorter pieces the difference of 1/2" becomes shorter. So maybe a 4 3/4" Red is equal to a 5" Bastard. And to further confuse the matter, keep in mind that as Reds vary in strength, so do Bastards. I can always take a newer, shinier, 5 1/2" Bastard to ninety degrees with no problem, but the older "dirty" looking Bastards always stop me well short of that point. This kind of thing is to be expected and is in no way a reflection of poor quality with Iron Mind products nor Fat Bastard products. It's simply the nature of steel, regardless of brand. Big Steve mentioned finding variances within a single length of steel stock.

I only dabbled a few times a while back with 5" Reds. Short stuff has always suited me. It had been a very long time since I had touched anything below 6", mostly been working with hard 7" stuff, I guess there is carryover. My main focus is strongman performances, been doing mucho charity work lately so I try to avoid the risks of the short stuff (and there are risks :D ). There's nothing worse than having to perform on cue at the level I want to perform with a giant bloody hole in your hand. You won't catch me bending easy stuff, even at an obscure show where folks don't know what they're looking at.

Pat, were you working with 5" reds quite a bit before trying the 5" FBBC, or where you just working on longer lengths of FBBC stock?