tendons severed

Guest viking power

Guest viking power

I used to visit one of the old grip boards but lost you guys for a while!

Anyway used to do a lot of grip work but on december the 26th i was involved in a very nasty car accident . In the accident the tendons to my 2 middle fingers were cut through via a cut just above my wrist. As you can imagine this has set me back in my goal of entering a strongman comp this year.

I need advice on this injury, how will my hand strength suffer and what sort of recovery time should i expect to regaining full if not better hand strength than before.

Many thanks

Guest Askalas

Sorry to hear about the injury!  Your doctor should be able to get you into rehab to recondition your hand.  Once in rehab they can give you a better idea about how long it will take to recover based on the severity of the injury and your personal recooperation time.  If they haven't mentioned it, see a sports doctor and explain your goals to them and they might be able to build a rehab program to suit your needs.  Best of luck and keep us posted on your progress.  BTW I like your screen name  :D

Guest viking power

Woody thanks for those links very useful indeed ..... since the car wreck I've started squatting again but it ain't easy with one hand and i'll start one handed farmers walks next week and hope for the best i guess ...... I'll keep you informed as to hoe the hand tendons heal.

Thanks again

Tom,

Sorry to hear about your injury. A year ago, funnily enough in December as well, I snapped the ligament in my thumb. What I did was to train around it; I couldn't even pinch and hold a toilet roll. When it started to heal, I then started to train it again - lightly. As it got stronger, I then suffered from the inability to fully flex the joint, because of the scar tissue. So then I had to do a lot of stretching of my thumb, and also found the martial arts 'eagle catcher' ideal for working the inside of my thumb side. Digit injuries take time to heal, I can still feel it now occasionally, and it's been a year.

All the best, David

I wondered what happened to you, you just weren't here anymore.  I won't be of any help, just wanted to say sorry about your injury and wish you a fast recovery......

Guest kINGPIN

Sorry to hear about you injury.  Like Bearcat I will not be much use on this one apart from saying the obvious which is 'what ever route to recovery you take, take it as slowly as possible and it will be quicker in the long run'.  -if that makes sense.

I wish you a quick recovery and hope you can get back to your training soon and mash your previous bests.  By coming back on here you have shown that you are a fighter and not about to get knocked down by an injury.

All the best

Andy

Nah. When I was a doorman my presence and manner was usually enough to stop trouble, but sometimes people are really up for it. Anyway, shall we say that the drug peddelling **** was a bit quieter at the end.

David

Viking I'm sorry to hear about your accident, but at the same time thankful that it wasn't a lot more serious than what you described. David, glad that you are OK too. I don't know about England, but here in US if you beat the soup out of someone today you'll probably see them in less than a week with friends and / or a gun. Be careful, we need your input here!

As far as the injury, I don't have any relevant input. I did injure my right thumb badly about 14 years ago when I was a lot younger and dumber. Strangely enough, the thing that healed it was pinch gripping. I wish I had known that before, I didn't start pinching until last year. It kept getting re-injured every year or 2 and always felt very structurally weak. Now it is stronger than my left.

Guest viking power

If anyone wants to see re-did the dressing etc on my hand last night and took a couple of pics.

Did not even try and move it, felt real weak and tight. According to the therapist first 8 weeks following injury really to be just spent on getting back movement and making sure the tendons slide smooth.

Then works starts on rebuilding the hand strength.

Hand pics - click here

Jesus,that's a bad one, thank God you're young and strong and will recover! Take it verrry slowly, and do not overwork your hand ,Vike! Here's hoping for a speedy and complete recovery!

Best Wishes

JJ

By the way who the heck is Lenny Maclean?!

Guest viking power

Had another proper look at the hand/arm yesterday as still not heard from the hospital therapist!!!

So amazed at the amount of muscle wastage after just approaching 4 weeks. I assume this is normal, anyway tried a little movement of the fingers and they moved ..... so pleased, did not do anything else.