Hardy Handshake

Rick Walker

Since there is a big jump between the #2-#3 and #3-#4, I figured I would purchase the Hardy Handshake from Ironmind.  I think that just training the grippers would make reaching the #3 and #4 extremely hard and extremely long.

Does anyone have one of these machines and how much carry over is there to the COCs?  I figure once I get it, I will warm up with the #1 and #2 COCs, then put on as much weight as I can on the Handshake and bang out 3 sets of doubles.  I have some 1 1/4 plates so I will constantly strive to add weight to the bar.  Once I can handle a hefty amount, i will grab the #3 and try to mash it.

Rick Walker :hehe

Rick,

The hardy handshake is not the greatest as far as replicating the feel of the grippers.  It has no knurling, it's handles are wider than a normal gripper. and it is almost impossible to use just your hand and not get some force from your elbow or shoulder.  If you want better designed grip machines, check out www.fractionalplates.com or www.sorinex.com there grip machines are more expensive, but they are much more versatile and realistic feeling.

Thanks!

Here's what most people do Rick.

Since the average #2 is 280 in/lbs and the average #3 is a little above 400, you can get an ''in-between gripper''. There is three possibilities. First, PDA produces calibrated grippers. A 330 - 370 gripper is between most of the #2 and #3. Second option, the Beef Builder Master from weightlifter's warehouse. This gripper is the old #2. The handles are wider. it is qualified as a 2.5 (in the middle of the #2 and #3). However, some people ordered a BBM and it was no tougher than a #2. Third, you can get a grip machine but a good one like G-Rex 621 is quite expensive.

My choice, get a gripper from PDA in the 330-370 range.

Guest StrongerthanArne

Unfortunately, it is not as simple as that. I ordered a 338 ip gripper from the PDA to use for strap holds and it turned out to be considerably easier to close than a 286 ip #2.

Rick, glad to have you here. Many people here are waiting for PDA (fractionalplates.com) to put the finishing touches on the "gripanator" plate loaded grip machine. One of the board administrators here (Wannagrip) has tested the prototype and had a lot of good stuff to say about it. Go to the website and check it out, it apparently is the best machine available for simulating heavy handgrippers (if that is your only need in a machine).

However, I have a PDA gripper (SOS 347 in-lb) that does the trick for me being right in between my #2 and #3. This does not mean that it would be right for everyone. This solution is what Tou is suggesting, it is more cost effective. I had first ordered a BBM from Weightlifter's Warehouse and it was slightly easier than my IM #2. I sold it to a friend a day later and ordered my PDA gripper which I am very pleased with.

To the old timers on the board reading this, don't try to suck me into a discussion on closing torque. I am simply posting what happened to work for me. Nowhere do I indicate that the same would work for anyone else. Rick, read some of the posts from a few weeks ago to get up to speed on the calibrate / no calibrate discussion (argument).

Thanks.  I checked out the site-the gripanator looks awesome but I am wondering how much it will cost!?!

The only thing I have spent money on so far for the grip is the COCs #1-#3.  Everything else I have or use is homemade.  

I will check out the grippers made by PDA.  What is the general consensus around here about how much pressure the #1 COC and #2 COC take to close??  I only ask so I can get a PDA gripper that is somewhere inbetween.

Thanks again-

There has been a ton of discussion lately about closing torque.  It's been pretty widely accepted that the calibration numbers really don't mean squat as to closing difficulty.  What I would recommend, knowing what I know is to buy several grippers in the range (spring size) you are interested in from whatever manufacturer you choose (Ironmind or PDA).  Rate these by your hand and order them accordingly as to difficulty.  Trust me, you will do this anyway, even if you pay a lot of extra money for calibration and a number.  

Anyone who thinks they are gonna get exactly what they think by specifying a number, go ahead spend your money.

Rick, I must disagree with Riotgrip concerning the Hardy Handshake. First of all it is a good training tool, certainly it cannot be any worse than some of the homemade machines some of the guys here make! I bought mine appx 2 months ago and am quite happy with it.  A couple of the guys who know,gave me some tips on how to minimize cheating, it hurts like heck! By the way Joe Kinney did fashion his  "Secret Weapon" after the HH. Go to Ironmind page and click on grip tools then on the HH for more info! Also the handles on my HH are the same diameter as the COC grippers. If you don't have a lot of moolah to spend and have no talent for welding like me I would recommend the HH.

To Health,

JJ

Forgot to mention I don't believe any of the current grip machines have knurling. Don't quote me on that though!

I  modified  the(  hardy handshake) by  a machinist   to cut 1/4  around the bottom

wHERE IN small end

I is about  3.5  to 1  ratio on it.  I use the high bench on where I  turn my back

to small end.  I really feels good and  cheap to modified  about $20.

My  name is S'AN.

good luck in your train I hope this works  for you :)

San, welcome to the board,friend,And forgive me but I have no idea what you did to your HH, I apologise but I just cannot make heads or tales of your post,though I am very interested as to how you improved it. Can you try again please!

Guest Dimitri

That makes two of us Blue...........I picked up a used(like new) Hardy Handshake on the cheap from an buddy.I'm trying to figure out the best way to set it up,use it.Right now I'm balancing it on a milk crate and squatting down to use it.......I'm getting some shoulder into the movement even though I try not to.Any info on set up,usage or modification would be usefull.

Dimitri, I hear ya, I was given some good advice when I first recieved my HH and from there developed my own method of working out on it. I tried casters or rollers on it but that didn't work as I have very limited space. What I do I place it on top of my bench then bend my knees and lean backward as I do reps. This really cuts back on the cheating effect and hurts like ####! As for negs the usual advice applies here, lift the plate loaded arm with your free hand and squeeze ! I found that the straighter and as parallel with the floor as you can hold your working arm, the less cheating! Try it, see if it works for you! Good luck!            

I have the supergripper too james and it's a completely different type of workout really like it too!

Blue Shadow,

The say that kinney designed the SW after hardy handshake, but they don't mention that his machine allows the weight to pull the weight down from your fingers, hardy handshake pushes the weight back UP towards your head when it is closed.  The only similarity between the HH and the SW is that there handles are positioned like a gripper, rather than paralell throughout the ride.  It is not a bad training tool, but try just a regular atlas (not even the gripinator) and you'll see what I mean about not being as easy to cheat.  Not to mention a lot more comfort on your wrist.

Fascinating Riotgrip, I sure wish I had access to a Atlas and some of the homemade machines some of our talented brothers here have made! I can't afford a  Atlas at this time(the kids both need new shoes... :D  ) but I sure wish I could!  Again thanks for the info and keep it coming always glad to find out something new!

To Your Health,

JJ

I have only had my Ivanko SG for about 3 weeks now and I simply love it. I just finished using it about 20 minutes ago. I have already recommended some friends @ work to check out PDA's website to see it (these guys claim to want to start working grip). It is a tool that a 9 year old boy could start with, but at the same time many COC's would have a hard time with some of the highest settings on  it.

Hi It is hard  to explain how I modified  My Hardy Handshake but

it is easier to  show a pic=just  email me and I  will send  a photo.

Modifiedcation=where the  small end and cut  a square  hole on the steel

plate but do  cut the handle  at all vvvip+1/4 inch  around  the gripping

part  where you see the small handle + see the plate.

once you cut the hole in  = you can use it like a  real gripper about  3.5  to 1

ratio.    What  I   do  is  put the HH  on the bench with plate load end into

the bench.  The hole  with which you can see  the floor  when looking

at it.   Ok donot face the bench at all  but out ward.  But the plate  side  

I make sure I  narrow the grip  by placing weight  under  between  the

the bar and  the plate.  I can do  65  pound on it this way and it is

about  195 pounds  but I do negative on it manage to hang  on

for about 10 seconds on it.  I feels  more natural then the other  way

there is no push  here.

• 2 weeks later...
try just a regular atlas (not even the gripinator) and you'll see what I mean about not being as easy to cheat.  Not to mention a lot more comfort on your wrist.

RiotGrip,

I finally had a chance to check out the "Atlas", Man, you are so right! It is a lot easier on the wrist and over all just a whole lot better to train with! Thanks for the tip! I want one!!

Later

JJ

Blueshadow,  

I'm sure you, like me and many other owners of the HH, did not know of PDA when you first bought the HH.  If only we'd have known from the begining.   I understand the cost issue though, because if my girlfriend wouldn't have surprised me with Atlas for my birthday, I definitely wouldn't have got to experience what an awesome grip machine it is.   :D

RG, Sadly, I knew about PDA before I ever heard about Ironmind, but I was not as informed about grip as I am now after joining Grippage. Too,the financial aspects had a major impact on my purchase!

Later,

JJ